Paph. helenae 'Charlie'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Just 2 flowers this year.....about 2 months apart. The ovary in the background is not from the earlier flower, it's from last year. I sibbed this plant over a year ago and the capsule is still green!

Potted in a 7 ounce drinking cup (~2.5" diameter) and beginning to clump nicely. I can't wait until it begins carrying multiple flowers at the same time! One day, I want it to look like one of fibre's plants.....a dozen flowers all open at the same time would be nice!
36792.jpg

Edit:
I just had a look at the photos from the last time I posted about this plant. The flowers in the previous posting were a lot more "Butch". The dorsal was wider as well as the petals. The colour was deeper too. Last fall, I changed the very old plastic on my greenhouse and that meant this plant got a lot more light over the winter months. We had a mild winter too; so, I heated to a higher temperature over night. Hmmm? It seems that cool temps and low light produce better flowers!

The previous 2 winters were COLD!!! Temps in the greenhouse got down to the mid-40's F at night. This past winter, the temp would've never gone below 60*F. Plus, because of new, clear plastic, the light was a lot better over the winter than in previous years.

Edit #2:
I forgot to include the link to the previous blooming mentioned above.
Link: http://http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35291&highlight=helenae

Last edited:
That is a wonderful specimen John. Tell us about how you handle it.
Also, was it a single growth to start? if so, how long before it became vigorous enough to start clumping (if you know what I mean)

Strange time for a flowering helenae in the northern hemisphere. A very good flower though. Temps above 60°F at wintertimes is too warm for helenae in my experience. This may be the reason for this unseasonal flowering. I try to keep winter temps below 60°F at days and about 50°F or less at nights. A lot of light in winter is good for helenae.

Quite lovely John. Thanks for the info as well. I'm still hoping for a couple growths to 'fall off' one day....:D

Thanks everyone.

I just realized that the sibbing took place in November 2014, 18 months ago! That bud on the very short stem in the background of the October 2014 thread (see link provided above), is the flower that was pollinated. Is that capsule EVER going to ripen?! It's 18 months old now!

Mike: I water it when it is approaching dryness. I feed it at every other watering. Give it decent light (low Cattleya light) and i grow it at the warm end of the greenhouse. However, I think I should move it to the cool end to help ensure the best quality flowers. When I got it, it was just a couple growths. It added one growth a year until it got up to about 4, then it began to increase faster.

I'd be very happy with this flower!

I wonder if the difference in color depth doesn't have something to do with the lighting. Looks very different to my eyes.

I'd be very happy with this flower!

I wonder if the difference in color depth doesn't have something to do with the lighting. Looks very different to my eyes.

It's possible, Dot. However, both were taken in the greenhouse, under natural light. Of course, one has a black velvet background and the other has white bristol board. Also, one was taken in October and the other was taken this month. Then of course there's the time of day that the photos were taken. Sorry, I can't remember what time of day it was for either photo.

I agree with Chris (Fibre) in the previous flowering. That is an FCC quality clone. It is the best helenae I have seen by miles.

I wish my helenae looked like 'Charlie'. I think perhaps
my temps. are just too warm. One is growing fairly well and the other doesn't seem happy at all. I love your plant
John.

Late to the post, just an incredible helenae you have there John! Sure hope that pod ripens one day soon! I want to buy some seedlings!

Thank you, all!

Yeah, I hope that capsule ripens before the heat of summer. I wonder if I should just pick it anyway. Surely the seeds are ripe by now and dry with a mature, hard coat, inside the capsule. 'Hesitant to do that though. I don't want to ruin my chances of getting good seed.

I just noticed that this blooming has an orange "button" on the staminode shield. But, the link (provided in my post #1), shows the flowers from back in 2014 and the "button" was green. Hmmm?....seems that culture (temperature?), has an influence on the colour. Interesting.

It's possible, Dot. However, both were taken in the greenhouse, under natural light. Of course, one has a black velvet background and the other has white bristol board. Also, one was taken in October and the other was taken this month. Then of course there's the time of day that the photos were taken. Sorry, I can't remember what time of day it was for either photo.

One needs only study the work of the Impressionists to see how light changes through the day and year. :)

Latest posts

Back