Phragmipedium longifolium var. roezlii 'Whippoorwill' x self

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
This is from Tom Kalina (Fox Valley Orchids), purchased in June 2013. Thank you Tom for the vigorous and nice plants! Tom mentioned that it grows like a little weed, and it is true. It was a single growth plant, but made 3 new growths (not matured yet) in 21 months. This is the first flower, and the flower is slightly asymmetrical (it is growing in a rather tight area).

It is a full-sib of Dot's plant documented with an excellent photo. I couldn't achieve the nice lighting like Dot's (I'm guessing that the slight back/top light makes Dot's photo amazing!) It's difficult to compare the color with photos, but mine seems to be a bit more red/yellowish and less pastel (the color of my photos are slightly yellowish than the real color, though). I wonder if lower temp caused the reddish color. It was around 65F/50-55F when the buds were developing and some plants (not sure about orchids) express more anthocyanin when they are cold stressed.

Phragmipedium longifolium var. roezlii 'Whippoorwill' x self on Flickr

Phragmipedium longifolium var. roezlii 'Whippoorwill' x self on Flickr

Phragmipedium longifolium var. roezlii 'Whippoorwill' x self staminode and pollinia on Flickr

The green dots below the staminodes are pretty cool:

Phragmipedium longifolium var. roezlii 'Whippoorwill' x self staminode on Flickr

They happen to be blooming at the same time, so I made side-by-side photos of P. hurtzii and P. longifolium var. roezlii for no good reason:

Phragmipedium hirtzii (left) and P. longifolium var. roezlii 'Whippoorwill' x self (right) on Flickr

Phragmipedium hirtzii (left) and P. longifolium var. roezlii 'Whippoorwill' x self (right) on Flickr

Wow -- that hirtzii is a fantastic plant!

I've found that temperature has a lot of effect on Phrag colors. Now I'll have to find my roezlii and see how close it is to blooming again...

Thank you, all. Tom's plants are somehow very easy to grow (for me).

Beautiful plants. Are you growing under lights, greenhouse or windowsill?

I'm in super dry area (from the amount of precipitation, it is almost "desert"), so I grow all of my plants in grow tents (or some enclosures) with 100% artificial light (both florescent light and DIY LED). I can get 70-90%RH.

I've found that temperature has a lot of effect on Phrag colors.

Thank you for the info, Dot. I'll move it to a warmer area for fun!

Back