Some notes on the use of fertilisers and in particular micronutrients

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sulfate reacts with calcium to form calcium sulfate which is only slightly soluble.
So if you mixed concentrated solutions of calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate you would get a precipitate of calcium sulfate. Mixing concentrated solutions of calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate does not form a precipitate. I make solutions containing 400 grams/liter of calcium nitrate and another of magnesium nitrate; these are then combined along with some of the micro-nutrients to form Part A of my 2 component nutrient concentrate.

I was missinformed oops, thank you for the correction, I read yur formula it's very complete, I was just talking to a very awesome lady at parkside orchids she told me to cut my fertilizing in half lol..

Sulfate reacts with calcium to form calcium sulfate which is only slightly soluble.

Also the solubility of calcium sulfate (gypsum) is around 2000+ ppm so if you don't try to make a concentrate, you won't get any precipitate.

Natural surface waters (which most people see as their local drinking water) are typically dominated by fully soluble calcium and sulfate ions.

Latest posts

Back