Creating my own fertiliser

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rain water 80l + 8ml (~1 teaspoon) Ca-N (17-3) fertilizer + 16ml (2 teaspoons) liquid ocean fertilizer (1-3-5 NPK + many micros and others like natural hormones) + 8g (1 teaspoon) NH4NO3+MgSO4 (70%+30%, homemade)

an interesting fertilizer.

What do you mean with "liquid ocean fertilizer" - do you have a link?

The product was not yet available, and texture is more solid than liquid so not easy to use... but very good product however!!!

The product was not yet available, and texture is more solid than liquid so not easy to use... but very good product however!!!
A disadvantage of the "Liq Ocea" it is it makes the solution acid ( at .2ml/L) which requires an addition of KOH or tap water fairly important. This is contradictory with the low K and low EC (µS) we are looking for.

But we are looking for a somewhat acid fertiliser solution? 5.5 should be close to ideal. 0.2ml per liter is a dilution of 1:5000 which should raise the pH by a factor of three or so. The stuff cannot have that low pH (ie around 2)?

But we are looking for a somewhat acid fertiliser solution? 5.5 should be close to ideal. 0.2ml per liter is a dilution of 1:5000 which should raise the pH by a factor of three or so. The stuff cannot have that low pH (ie around 2)?
When I add this alga extract to my fertilyser solution the pH decrease to 4.5. To neutralise this solution to a pH of 6 I need to add 6 drops of KOH 1M or 100 ml of tap water for 1 liter (and we have a very hard water: 44 °F). 6 drops of KOH 1 M in 1 liter adds ~ 12 mgr K+ which is not negligible.
Probably the alga extract mentioned is not a cold-pressed seaweed but an acid extract.

Impressively acid! Guess you are right, or they need that much to stabilise a concentated extract. Nevertheless, its simply too much acid, I agree.

After I add all the elements (Ca, MgSO4, NH4NO3, liquid ocean), pH is neutral here (almost 7). and I add nothing else in the rain water. :)

After I add all the elements (Ca, MgSO4, NH4NO3, liquid ocean), pH is neutral here (almost 7). and I add nothing else in the rain water. :)
Strange ... MgSO4, NH4NO3, Ca(NO3)2 are salts of week base and strong acid thus your pH must be acid. I never see a fertilyser solution which is neutral or slightly basic. Maybe it is your rain water which is basic but the likelihood is low.

no, water is pH 5.5. the liquid Ca (+N) source makes the pH going up! :D

Latest posts

Back