haynaldianum alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

I've waited a couple days ..... the dorsal is what it is, actually I kinda like the scallopped hood!
haynaldianumalbum001.jpg

haynaldianumalbum003.jpg

I got the plant from Tom Kalina about a year & a half ago.

Nice flower! I really like the alba form of haynaldianum.

Maybe the dorsal isn't opening up fully because it's a first bloom on a small plant and it's just not very strong. That fact is already in evidence by the fact that there are only 2 flowers. It seems very small (young) and would've better waited for another 6 to 12 months before blooming for you. This species can produce up to 7 flowers on a single stem. In the photo, it looks like it's a single growth with no new growths. If that's right and it were my plant, I'd cut the stem now to force the plant to start a new growth. Strap leaf Paphs will sometimes bloom on a single growth that is showing no sign of starting a new growth.....and then just die when the bloom is done. It's happened to me. Whenever I have such a plant, I remove the spike as soon as I can get hold of it. In order to survive and leave any offspring, this forces the plant to grow more growths. Usually, you will get 2 or 3 new growths before the next attempted blooming; but, when it does, it will be so much more spectacular....and on a strong plant!

I'd wait until the second bud has opened, take lots of Photos, cut the stem and enjoy it as a cut flower this time. By saving the plant's strength now, you'll have a multigrowth plant by this time next year and probably get multiple spikes on the next blooming in 2010 or 2011.

FWIW, that's my 2 cents.

Dot - yours is very nice! I'm gonna have 2 flowers. It's interesting, if you google images of a regular haynaldianum, they don't have the scallopped dorsal. Google albas & they all do! Are we too anxious to take the pic of the alba?

Dot - yours is very nice! I'm gonna have 2 flowers. It's interesting, if you google images of a regular haynaldianum, they don't have the scallopped dorsal. Google albas & they all do! Are we too anxious to take the pic of the alba?
We'll have to wait and see. Mine's been open about 3 days. It was like this one the last bloom, also.

Hey you gals are making me jealous, I'm going to ask Parkside to bring one to the Capitol area Paph Symposium for me! I hope the inauguration nonsense will have died down by then! :p

....Maybe the dorsal isn't opening up fully because it's a first bloom on a small plant and it's just not very strong. That fact is already in evidence by the fact that there are only 2 flowers. It seems very small (young) and would've better waited for another 6 to 12 months before blooming for you. This species can produce up to 7 flowers on a single stem. In the photo, it looks like it's a single growth with no new growths. If that's right and it were my plant, I'd cut the stem now to force the plant to start a new growth. Strap leaf Paphs will sometimes bloom on a single growth that is showing no sign of starting a new growth.....and then just die when the bloom is done. It's happened to me. Whenever I have such a plant, I remove the spike as soon as I can get hold of it. In order to survive and leave any offspring, this forces the plant to grow more growths. Usually, you will get 2 or 3 new growths before the next attempted blooming; but, when it does, it will be so much more spectacular....and on a strong plant!

I'd wait until the second bud has opened, take lots of Photos, cut the stem and enjoy it as a cut flower this time. By saving the plant's strength now, you'll have a multigrowth plant by this time next year and probably get multiple spikes on the next blooming in 2010 or 2011.

FWIW, that's my 2 cents.

My plan exactly! (and Dot got my worried because she lost one right after it bloomed.) There is a second growth of about 3-4" right behind the mature one.

My plan exactly! (and Dot got my worried because she lost one right after it bloomed.) There is a second growth of about 3-4" right behind the mature one.

A very nice alba Rose!!! and, please pay attention to the young growth; mine must have gotten some bad water in the 'crown' and has started an evil brown spot; I only can hope that it will survive :eek::eek:! Jean

...It's interesting, if you google images of a regular haynaldianum, they don't have the scallopped dorsal. Google albas & they all do!...
By now I didn't realize this but you are right!!!
Nevertheless this flower looks great even with a scalloped dorsal. All those green and white flowers of different album forms are lovely.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Latest posts

Back