Guess the primary

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evidently I don't have a healthy mind. :poke::evil:

:)

fowliei was indeed on that list (hennisianum wasn't)... Glad myself and the noted orchid expert got proven wrong, this is pretty nice. I'm glad niveum is so dominant for shape :evil:

Well, since you've used the albinistic version of fowliei I'd suspect you were looking for something white? Planning on doing the F2 cross?

best wishes,

:)

fowliei was indeed on that list (hennisianum wasn't)... Glad myself and the noted orchid expert got proven wrong, this is pretty nice. I'm glad niveum is so dominant for shape :evil:

Well, since you've used the albinistic version of fowliei I'd suspect you were looking for something white? Planning on doing the F2 cross?

best wishes,

Carsten, both your and Dr. Koopowitz's low opinion of fowliei for breeding are probably well founded in experience and theory, but I had to give a few fowliei crosses a try because of its small size and its vigorous growth habit. In each case I've paired fowliei with another small growing plant that tends to dominate primary crosses: niveum (shape), godefroyae var leucochilum (shape), fairrieanum (shape), and henryanum (color). This is the second cross to bloom. Orchids, Ltd. got a flask from me and bloomed the first fowliei x fairrieanum = Paph Fairy Bird. Many thanks to Jason and Jerry for allowing me to photograph the first bloom.

Paphfowlieixfairrieanumplant.jpg

I'm considering an F2 cross, depending on the results of the next few blooms. Unlike the other fowliei crosses, I only got about twelve plants.

Carsten, both your and Dr. Koopowitz's low opinion of fowliei for breeding are probably well founded in experience and theory, but I had to give a few fowliei crosses a try because of its small size and its vigorous growth habit. In each case I've paired fowliei with another small growing plant that tends to dominate primary crosses: niveum (shape), godefroyae var leucochilum (shape), fairrieanum (shape), and henryanum (color). This is the second cross to bloom. Orchids, Ltd. got a flask from me and bloomed the first fowliei x fairrieanum = Paph Fairy Bird. Many thanks to Jason and Jerry for allowing me to photograph the first bloom.

Ross, I dont have any experience in breeding with fowliei, only expectations. You've chosen the partners in your crosses quite thoughfully and got very nice results as your gratification.
In fact, I'm very grateful that you did these crosses and showed us the results, since that adds a lot to the steep learning curve I'm still on (and always will be).
Can't wait to see the henryanum cross blooming!

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back