Guess the primary

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I have no specific guess, but I'll have to concur that it is niveum by something from section Barbata??? Argus already ruled out. Ramon mentioned ciliolare too? How about superbiens or curtisii???

I think the stem is too long to be another Brachy as the second parent. Really reminds one of Angela (niv X fairrieanum) in color, stem, and markings, BUT doesn't have that fairrieanum flair.

No midline stripes from some of the sec. Paphs mentioned (druryi, spicerianum).

Too straight on the margins to have Cochlopetalum.

Certainly nothing from the Coryos or Pardalos there either.

After all this thinking "out loud," I'll guess (niveum X superbiens/curtisii)?

???

-Ernie

I believe its niveum by something barbatum. There are some dainty species I'd rule out because noone with a healthy mind would breed with them and some others because they distribute colour in a different way (tonsum, mastersianum).
How about Judy Erdmann (x urbanianum)? If I had a second guess I'd go for wardii.

I haven't seen this hybrid, but I think Ernie is quite close on his guess.
My guess is niveum x wardii, the character of the flower seems right for this cross.

I thought about something with a green dorsal in the background, but it's not prim or glaucophylum. If its wardii then where are the "brains"!? Plus my wardii had a really short stem! :p

Since it's not suk, I have to say the color pattern on the lip does favor wardii as some have suggested; the only other parent I can think of would be violascens.

Kevin, Ernie, Roy, and Robert are all on the right track. This might give it away, but a noted orchid expert when speaking about this species stated: "Hybrids made from this species have relatively little worth other than their novelty value."

Kevin, Ernie, Roy, and Robert are all on the right track. This might give it away, but a noted orchid expert when speaking about this species stated: "Hybrids made from this species have realatively little worth other than their novelty value."

Paph fowlei.

David

Post a pic when it is fully open. Maybe it will be easier to see the fowlei in it then.

I believe its niveum by something barbatum. There are some dainty species I'd rule out because noone with a healthy mind would breed with them and some others because they distribute colour in a different way (tonsum, mastersianum).
How about Judy Erdmann (x urbanianum)? If I had a second guess I'd go for wardii.

Evidently I don't have a healthy mind. :poke::evil:

And my Paph fowlei is in high bud (first time) at the moment as well. It was meant to be :)

The extra clue was pretty helpful.

David

Latest posts

Back