Guess the Paph...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GaryB

...cause I'm too embarrassed to say I lost the tag in the title. This is a first bloom and while I should have records on the computer of everything I ever purchased, I can't figure out what it is. I'm hoping someone can help.

Gary

paph1.jpg

paph2.jpg

I see hirsutissimum and charlesworthii in it...maybe some sukhakulii...

I am 100% sure there is charlesworthii in it! I am no breeder, but I have noticed on this forum that charlesworthii is quite dominate in breeding.

maybe crossed into paph sukhakulii.
Probably not into a maudiae type hybrid because those tend to be solid in colour.

I am 100% sure there is charlesworthii in it!

Me too, but I only have the species in my records, which are obviously incomplete. I thought that it was likely to be a primary hybrid, but am at a loss for what it could be.

Me too, but I only have the species in my records, which are obviously incomplete. I thought that it was likely to be a primary hybrid, but am at a loss for what it could be.

The foliage suggests charlesworthii as well as the flower. As a primary I think charlesworthii x sukhakulii is the only possibility, Sue Worth, but I can't find a picture for comparison. But I think I see a touch of mastersianum there too, so I'd suggest charlesworthii x Duguesclin or charlesworthii x Supersuk instead.

The petals are wrong for straight Charles x suk;my guess is a red complex by suk

I'd guess chuck and suk as well, but not sure what else might be there. It's not unpleasant looking, whatever it is :)

The petals are wrong for straight Charles x suk;my guess is a red complex by suk

I'm with Tenman. I would have to say it's King Aurther X sukhakulii. King Aurther being a very early hybrid. Newer complexes bred w/ suk give much rounder flower in most cases.

The petal shape and stance suggest hirsutissimum to me...in fact, my first impression said that before I looked at the other details.

the staminode is that of the Paph Barbata group. It agrees with paph sukhakulii (but it could also incude a sukhakulii cross if it were more complex...).

Latest posts

Back