Guess the bud!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the pictures, taken about an hour ago. :) For some reason, my camera decided to enhance anything remotely yellow in the picture, making the colours a bit off. I've tried to correct it as much as I could, but I didn't have that much luck with some of the pictures.

First out is a picture of the entire plant, together with my helenae (my helenae is a mighty specimen with a whopping 10 cm Ls):

263271.orig.jpg

Next, is the base of the plant:

263272.orig.jpg

Next is a close-up of the bud. I've tried to make sure you can see the impressive stubble on it:

263274.orig.jpg

And a picture of the bud, from the front, just to give an idea of the general shape (it's a hairy beak, I tell you):

263275.orig.jpg

Compared to my villosums, the purplish spotting is too fine. It looks more like my gratrixianum actually (that someone thought was a var. daoense, so it looks different from the "normal" gratrixianum, whatever that is), but we'll see what it is, probably a hybrid I think. Villosum doesn't have dark haired buds, or do they?

They do. They are named after it. Though lots of Paphs have hairs, and villosum is not the most hairy of them. But it really looks awfully like villosum, as atlantis suggests. Gratrixianum would be my second bet, but at least mine have more upright leaves, but this can be because of light and different cultivation.
But it is a nice and strong going plant, congrats, even if it is no henry at all...!

I'm guessing a gratrix or gratrix cross. The base of the plant looks very
much like my gratrix Wedgewood x Lula Girl. So shoot me if I'm wrong!
It's such a nice, healthy plant and bud I probably wouldn't much care
exactly what it is.

*the bud does look like a beak!

They do. They are named after it. Though lots of Paphs have hairs, and villosum is not the most hairy of them. But it really looks awfully like villosum, as atlantis suggests. Gratrixianum would be my second bet, but at least mine have more upright leaves, but this can be because of light and different cultivation.
But it is a nice and strong going plant, congrats, even if it is no henry at all...!
Aha, thanks for informing me. I know they are hairy (except a few), but it's hard to see if the hairs are dark or not on most pictures. And people don't take that many pictures of the buds, since they're probably not as crazy about Paph buds as I am. ;) I don't think it's a straight villosum though, since I've added crushed oyster shells to the mix and it doesn't seem to mind (I thought it was a Henry after all), despite growing in it for over a year...

I would say that mine reminds me the most of my gratrix plant wise, except that there will be no white on the dorsal of course.

Yeah, it's a happy Paph, whatever it is, so I hope it'll be something fun so I won't have to sell it.

I'm guessing a gratrix or gratrix cross. The base of the plant looks very
much like my gratrix Wedgewood x Lula Girl. So shoot me if I'm wrong!
It's such a nice, healthy plant and bud I probably wouldn't much care
exactly what it is.

*the bud does look like a beak!
The only thing that speaks against it being a pure gratrix, or maybe even a cross, is the lack of white on the dorsal. I don't remember how quickly the dorsal on mine turned white, but I believe it should show some hint of it if there would be any. It's most probably a villsoum cross, I think.

Unfortunately, I have to care what it is, since I have limited space, but honestly, I would much rather chuck my "big" villsoum, since it seems to be a dud.

No pun intended, dear mutant. Surely you know this pages: http://www.slipperorchids.info/paphdatasheets/paphiopedilum/villosum/ The description mentions the hairy inflorescence, ovary and flower. If the flower is hairy, the bud must be.
You know something, I've lived on slipperorchids.info, and read, and re-read about all the potential Paphs it could be, but I totally missed that piece of information. That's called being blind! :rollhappy: Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Yeah, it might have villsoum in it, but I don't think it's a straight villosum, since it seems rather happy with the crushed oyster shells in the media. And if it IS a straight villosum (probably a fma.villosum then right?), I better repot it quickly!

Hmm... I'm starting to see something that looks like spots on the dorsal when I hold the bud up to the light (yes, I'm going to cause it to blast by disturbing it too much, and then I'll hate myself :p )...

I thought I'd check in to see what progress has been made. Are you
going crazy? I think wardii is going to drive me mad as a hatter. Yes, I've
been trying to peek, but it reveals no secrets so far. Aaaaakkkkk!

I thought I'd check in to see what progress has been made. Are you
going crazy? I think wardii is going to drive me mad as a hatter. Yes, I've
been trying to peek, but it reveals no secrets so far. Aaaaakkkkk!
A bit, and this is with a Paph that's not doing that whole "stall-grow-stall" dance that your wardii does. I can imagine you're pulling your hair out out of frustration! :rollhappy:

My bud is growing visibly larger every day, and I can definitely see something that looks like a big spot on the dorsal. I'm going to take a picture of it tomorrow, and post. I don't think it's that long now, till the wait is over. Maybe a week or two, it depends on how big it's planning to get.

Your bud is giving me something to worry over besides my wardii. Any distraction is appreciated! Fortunately for me, one of my In-Charm
beauties has two buds getting ready to open.

Update on my Hairy Henry. I can see a suggestion of spots on the dorsal and synesepal, but only with my naked eye. At first, I thought it was just wishful thinking, but I held the bud up towards the light, and the spots were clearly visible then. I didn't dare to juggle with my henry and my camera though, so you'll have to take my word for it.

263579.orig.jpg

263580.orig.jpg

263581.orig.jpg

Your bud is giving me something to worry over besides my wardii. Any distraction is appreciated! Fortunately for me, one of my In-Charm
beauties has two buds getting ready to open.
I'm glad me and my bud can distract you from your frustrating wardii, we are always willing to help. :D

I'm counting on you reciprocating the favor later on, 'cause I think I might have a real nail-biter in very low bud. :drool:

I'm going to be very glad when I make it through this trial and error period
of being a newbie Paph. grower. Reminds me of my first orchid 15 years
ago and all the worry that came with the plant.

*if it's any help, I can send you a photo of wardii stalling. I've gotten
kinda fond of your henry beak.

I'm going to be very glad when I make it through this trial and error period
of being a newbie Paph. grower. Reminds me of my first orchid 15 years
ago and all the worry that came with the plant.

*if it's any help, I can send you a photo of wardii stalling. I've gotten
kinda fond of your henry beak.
Are you a newbie too? I thought you were one of those that had been growing Paphs for years. Feels good not to be alone. :)

If you wish, you could always post the picture of your stalling wardii in my jinx-thread. I would love to see it, can't get enough of Paph buds (and that thread isn't mine exclusively :wink: ).

Mutant: I know you´re going to hate me for this but.... the shape of this bud is completely different from all the henrys I´ve seen!! (specially the side view)
:rollhappy:

I´m looking forward to seeing this flower (while I´m waiting for mine to open)

Mutant: I know you´re going to hate me for this but.... the shape of this bud is completely different from all the henrys I´ve seen!! (specially the side view)
:rollhappy:

I´m looking forward to seeing this flower (while I´m waiting for mine to open)
I don't hate you at all for saying that. I saw a true henry bud yesterday, and mine looks so very different, is can't be a true henry. :p

Latest posts

Back