Guess the bud!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silly question btw, I'm a bit uncertain whether or not it IS a Henry... It has a leaf span of approximately 40-43 cm (15.7" - 16.9"), which feels a bit big... I thought they were smaller

Really!!? 40 cm of leaf span is HUGE for a henry, even considering that it´s a very variable species.
Moreover I´ve never seen so green bract in one of these. The bracts of my plants are more or less heavily spotted with maroon dots, but never as green as yours.
I find hard to believe this plant is a henry, but who knows!! It will be interesting to see how it evolves. Keep us informed please ;)

We wait for the bloom (villosum?)
Ugh! Please, not a villsoum! I have two of those already, don't need another space hugger. :p The leaves on this one looks rather different than from my two villosums, so I don't know if it's one of those either.

Really!!? 40 cm of leaf span is HUGE for a henry, even considering that it´s a very variable species.
Moreover I´ve never seen so green bract in one of these. The bracts of my plants are more or less heavily spotted with maroon dots, but never as green as yours.
I find hard to believe this plant is a henry, but who knows!! It will be interesting to see how it evolves. Keep us informed please ;)
I thought the size was rather suspicious...

I've searched the web for pictures of Henry, but most importantly, Henry buds. Not much luck so far, but I did manage to find at least one picture of a Henry bud with an almost completely green bract, so it seems possible.

Oh I will. If it turns out to be something interesting, I'll be happy, even if it's mislabeled. If it's a villosum, I'll get mad... :mad:

:rollhappy:Heat wave?
For Sweden at least. :wink:

I dont remember my henry having hairy buds.
I've never had a Henry, but I was wondering about that too...

I'm a bit uncertain whether or not it IS a Henry... It has a leaf span of approximately 40-43 cm (15.7" - 16.9"), which feels a bit big...
Henry???????
I just bought a henry this last week that is suppose to be blooming size, and it's leaf span is only 6 to 7 inches.

I have one henry that is just opening and another in bud. The one that is almost open has a hairyish ovary. The one is bud is about 2" tall and is as smooth as a baby's bottom! I agree with atlantis, too much green as well.
I do know someone that has a giant henry, he'll probably have it at our show in a few weeks, I'll check out the size of the plant, it was larger than what one would expect for a henry.

Henry???????
I just bought a henry this last week that is suppose to be blooming size, and it's leaf span is only 6 to 7 inches.
Yeah, the size surprised me when I got it, but then it was still within the limits of a Henry (albeit a big one). The fact that it has gotten even bigger though is rather suspicious. I really hope it's a Mega Henry. :eek:

I have one henry that is just opening and another in bud. The one that is almost open has a hairyish ovary. The one is bud is about 2" tall and is as smooth as a baby's bottom! I agree with atlantis, too much green as well.
I do know someone that has a giant henry, he'll probably have it at our show in a few weeks, I'll check out the size of the plant, it was larger than what one would expect for a henry.
Oh, could you pretty please post a picture or two on your Henry buds? I want to compare with mine. :)

Since I'm uncertain whether or not this is a Henry (what you guys say, seem to indicate it being something else), I've no idea how much longer till the bud opens, so it could be nice to have something to compare to.

The bud is covered in dark pubescent, which seems rather un-Henry like, and it's rather elongated too. I have gotten the impression that Henry buds are a bit rounder perhaps. The bud is not out of the bract yet, but it's 3 cm long.

Forgot to link to one of the Henry's with a green bract: Henry

No spots as far as I can tell... It might be too early to tell, but I doubt it. The thing that makes me really doubt its ID though, beside the size, is the dark, maroon coloured pubescent... All pictures I've found of Henry buds are fuzzy, but it's the sort of "barely there - see through" fuzz that many Paphs have, not this, very noticeable, stubble.

So, here's my question:
Which species in the paphiopedilum section do have dark haired buds? If it isn't a pure species, maybe it's a hybrid?

So, here's a thought; herrmannii?

I think you're doing he right thing...

Big hermanii at 40cm Ls
I think your short list will be villosum and hirsutissimum (plus varieties) Any other suggestions with plain green leaf plants (obviously hybrids of the above are also in the list)?

Yup, but according to slipperorchids.info, they can have up to 22 cm leaves, which would mean a Ls of 44 cm, so not impossible.

I doubt it being a villosum, for the same reason I doubt it being a Henry; the dark haired bud. I've checked all the pictures I've found, of all the species in the paphiopedilum section (again, lack of bud pictures makes everything more difficult), and villosum doesn't seem to have these maroon coloured hairs on its buds either. I've so far, not found a picture of a villosum with a purely green bract either (but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist though).

I don't know if there will be any markings or anything on the dorsal yet, but there won't be any white on it, that's for sure.

I don't think it's a hirsutissimum, or any of its varieties either, because of the green bract. Mainly, since I haven't found any pictures of any of these gorgeous Paphs with plain green bracts (I wish it was a hirsutissimum, but I don't think so).

I'm also thinking that it could be a hybrid, definitely within the paphiopedilum section, since I don't think there's a lick of anything else in it. But which hybrid, is the question? All that's left, is to wait and see. :p

Just have to be patient a little bit more.

But if curiosity is overwhelming, left bud is a henryanum bud.
4uV2IKQl.jpg

I have no patience, especially since this Paph has been teasing me with its bud for so long now. :p

Thanks for the picture eggshells! The bud on yours is more developed than mine, but man, what a difference! At the moment, yours is much chubbier (will probably change as the bud on mine develops more though), while my bud looks more like a beak... A marooned haired beak. :rollhappy:

But the foliage looks like mine does.

How big is the bud?

Not sure. The flower opened a while back. Then I sold it.
Dang! Well, it was worth a shot.

BTW, you should be punished for selling such a wonderfully coloured Henry! Baaad eggshells...

Ummmm, your spike apparently is without foliage! :poke:
Hehehe, I was waiting for that comment. I'm going to post pictures of the entire plant tomorrow (anything to help with an ID), and some closeups of Mr. Hairball. :D

I've so far, not found a picture of a villosum with a purely green bract either (but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist though).
They do exist. Here is my villosum var. boxalli with a pure green bract:
9905844804_b16c28f77d_z.jpg

And this is the first bloom of my henrys. As you see it is not completely smooth but none of those dark hairs that you show on yours. The marks of the dorsal weren´t visible until the bud was quite big.
9905820636_7dcc3346f2_z.jpg

I love these riddles!!

They do exist. Here is my villosum var. boxalli with a pure green bract:
9905844804_b16c28f77d_z.jpg

And this is the first bloom of my henrys. As you see it is not completely smooth but none of those dark hairs that you show on yours. The marks of the dorsal weren´t visible until the bud was quite big.
9905820636_7dcc3346f2_z.jpg

I love these riddles!!
Thanks for these pictures atlantis! Seems like villsoum can have purely green bracts, which is good to know, and that Henry can have dark stubble. :) I still think that mine is something else (have already started to plan where to buy the next Henry from). I'll take pictures of my whatever-it-is, and post said pictures when I get home later today. Stay tuned! :D

Back