Guess the bud!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been an orchid person a very long time. I grew a few Paphs. back in
my windowsill days and they did well, but they didn't capture my attention
back then. I was all about Catt. Alliance species. I've only been collecting and growing (or not growing as the case may be) Paphs. for about two
years. I'm a Brachy person who just happens to have three or so multis.
Brachys do really well for me. I think multis hate me!

I've been an orchid person a very long time. I grew a few Paphs. back in
my windowsill days and they did well, but they didn't capture my attention
back then. I was all about Catt. Alliance species. I've only been collecting and growing (or not growing as the case may be) Paphs. for about two
years. I'm a Brachy person who just happens to have three or so multis.
Brachys do really well for me. I think multis hate me!
I see, you have a bit of a head start on me then. ;)

Hehe, I'm mostly a sigmatopetalum person (but you all know that), but the multis are very attractive, and I would like more, like a Yang-Ji Hawk, a Berenice, besides my future Dollgoldi. :drool:

My multis are all growing, despite their new owner's ineptitude. I don't know if any of them will survive till they reach BS though, and I don't know if I'll flower any of them. All I can say is; I'll do my best.

Oh, and the heny bud is looking seriously wonky now! :rollhappy: I'll update the thread on Wednesday and you'll see what I'm talking about. Oh, and the bud is approximately 4.5 cm (1.8") long, and its completely out of the bract now. It's BIG.

EDIT: Holding it up towards the light, makes me wonder if there isn't more than just a spot on the dorsal visible, but more dark markings. I'm thinking it's a villosum actually.

Gary, have you been tippling wine? I've never bloomed a multi in my
life. Pass that wine over here please.

Waiting with anticipation for the photo, Theresa. I think I might miss that
beaky bud!

beaky bud!

You definitely have a roths about to bloom, I saw it with my own eyes. I will post your picture for you over the weekend. Well done Angela, it is looking good!

beaky bud!
Tomorrow I'll update with a photo (I've been taking them every fourth day, just because the bud develops so rapidly). It's even more of a beak now, and I'm 99.999999% certain it's a villosum (darn you villosum advocators for getting it right). I managed to find some images of villosums in high bud, and they do look an awful lot like mine. The problem is, I already HAVE two villosums, and it's not the coolest Paph around, so I don't want that many of it, hogging valuable windowsill space... I want to flower the other two first though, and then decide which one to keep. :p

I love villosum, they flower easily, the blooms last a long time, and there is enough variation within the species and subspecies to add sufficient variation. If it turns out to be villosum, it is not a bad thing IMO, but if it is a hybrid of unknown parentage, well, ..... Another NOID, which would you prefer?:)

I love villosum, they flower easily, the blooms last a long time, and there is enough variation within the species and subspecies to add sufficient variation. If it turns out to be villosum, it is not a bad thing IMO, but if it is a hybrid of unknown parentage, well, ..... Another NOID, which would you prefer?:)
Definitely a species (although, it depends on what the NoID looks like...). The problem is, I think villosum and their varieties are all a bit boring. Gratrixianum is a whole different matter, but villosum? Nah... I only got one, 'cause I got it almost for free, and that one refuses to flower (which was why the previous owner asked if I wanted to give it a try). The second one, was a freebie, and now this third one is a mislabeled one... I keep accidentally accumulating villosums.

Okay, the promised update! So, I'm prepared to bet an arm and a leg that this is a villosum... Darn...

I'm now calling it "Big Beak O'Reilly". :)

263792.orig.jpg

The beak is starting to open, and the probability of it being anything other than a straight villosum or villosum hybrid, are non-existent. I can see a bit of the petals, and it looks like the upper parts of them are a muddled reddish brown colour, and the lower parts look green.

I've actually staked the spike because I think the flower is going to be quite heavy. No pictures yet though, since it hasn't gotten very far (seems like it'll take a while to open).

At least post a progress picture, ... please (I want to see this villosum masquerading as a henry) cross-dressing in the plant world!:evil:

I'll do that tomorrow then, it's too dark to take half decent pictures right now.

Here's Audrey 2 (I think the pictures got a bit too green... good of me to discover it after I've finished doodling with them):

263920.orig.jpg

263921.orig.jpg

It's rather dark for a villosum, or at least compared to the pictures I've seen...

What the hell are you growing!!!!???:rollhappy:
I have NO idea! :rollhappy:

Looks like a tigrinum bud.
Nah... I've never seen a tigrinum bud, but they're not supposed to be hairy, and this thing is HAIRY.

Have to admit, I don't think it is a villosum despite my earlier assertions.
The colour reminds me of the colour on my Ashburtoniae (which I'm more and more convinced, is a Harrisianum). It's a rather dull, reddish brown colour, and not what I've come to associate with villosum. The colouration on the dorsal, looks like straight villosum though (I've been peeking up into the bud). It's a bit of a real mystery now... :confused:

Latest posts

Back