Growing brachypetalum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update

At the start of this thread I mentioned that I was going to try the Tanaka method of growing brachys. That is to basically put them in a big pot and leave them for a number of years.
Well I finally had a concolor which I thought was big enough to try. It was growing in a 3 inch tube and I have placed it in a 8 inch (aprox) bowl and plan to leave it there.
I used large orchiata and peices of granite and a sprinkling of zeolite. Its a bit hard to know when to water!

We shall see how it goes......

Mike, glad you came with this one now....The reason is that I have recently potted up (from a flat) a bunch of leuchos and that was the most difficult thing I have come across. I was shocked by the size and brittleness of the roots and afterwards most of them seem to succumb from rot. Thrown away half of them now; Lets hope the remains stays alive and avoid rot. The lesson learned is probablybly to pot up as soon as possible after deflasking and be very careful.

Mike, glad you came with this one now....The reason is that I have recently potted up (from a flat) a bunch of leuchos and that was the most difficult thing I have come across. I was shocked by the size and brittleness of the roots and afterwards most of them seem to succumb from rot. Thrown away half of them now; Lets hope the remains stays alive and avoid rot. The lesson learned is probablybly to pot up as soon as possible after deflasking and be very careful.

I found what works best for me is to put deflasked seedlings (5 to 7) in a smallish compot not a flat and leave them until they are completely covering it (2 -3 years) by then they will be quite strong plants but the roots are easy to handle and compact. They just don't do as well for me in individual pots after flask.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23601&highlight=compots&page=3

Unfortuately the pic seems to be gone??

For me the biggest thing was to avoid deflasking in autumn or winter. Now I take them out in late spring I have no issues. I plant into compots of 10-15mm bark with a small amount of sphag and shell grit. Here is one that is 12 months old. I have no issues repotting.

Attachments

• IMG_4683.jpg
    IMG_4683.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 25
For me the biggest thing was to avoid deflasking in autumn or winter. Now I take them out in late spring I have no issues. I plant into compots of 10-15mm bark with a small amount of sphag and shell grit. Here is one that is 12 months old. I have no issues repotting.

Looks great! Might be a good advice, must try to remember.....

Hi

I had the very best results and impressive growth when growing under MH light for Brachy's. Concolor were ready to bloom about 1 year and 1/2 after deflask.

Now I grow all of them at the south side of greenhouse, medium is medium bark + expanded clay balls + a little moss. I've started in spring and it grows much better and faster than previously with a little more shade and no moss no clay balls. Temperature drops a little more than previously but is higher when sunny. they get as much light as my Catts, if not more. I almost don't need to water in winter this way.

Latest posts

Back