giant P. sanderianum on ebay

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is no suprise. There was a Paph. stonii album division that was sold for $5,000 at the show. Cash!!!!!!:crazy:

Ramon:)

That is actually reasonable for that plant even though it sounds crazy. It is prob worth more.

Really, who would pay that much? I think that's beyond what most U.S. hybridizers would pay and that would hold the cost down.

It is the private collector who would suck that baby up.

Believe me that plant would sell and for definitely over 10k

Shhhhh.. don't spill the beans or else they'll be coming out of the woodwork. [Why invest in a roth IRA when you can invest in my roth album!?]

The problem is if you get a division what do you do with it. You know if the person was a commercial grower they are going to self it to death. So then you are stuck knowing that your plant is rare for about 8-10yrs. So then you are almost forced to self it yourself. If you have the whole plant you could never divide it or cross it.

With rare plants and animals they only hold their value if they're not used. Which is kind of selfish and defeats the purpose of commercialization. If you breed with it you make available new crosses. If you selve it the value goes down. If you do nothing with it you win a few awards or sell a division once in a while. I remember when 'leucustic' leopard geckos first came out they were $1500/ea. 4 years later they were $50.

With rare plants and animals they only hold their value if they're not used. Which is kind of selfish and defeats the purpose of commercialization. If you breed with it you make available new crosses. If you selve it the value goes down. If you do nothing with it you win a few awards or sell a division once in a while. I remember when 'leucustic' leopard geckos first came out they were $1500/ea. 4 years later they were $50.

Or you and friends could admire it.

You could also self it and cross it to a colorform and do your own breeding while keeping all the seedlings. You could then release them whenever you felt like you were bored with the album roth and didn't mind seeing them everywhere.

Yeah but time is a factor. If someone sold you a roth album x seedling today would you believe it? If so, I have a plant for you..:evil:

??? No the whole plant. If you had the whole plant time is no factor. You control what happens to the plant. You could never release anything from it if you wanted to. You could bloom out all your roth album seedlings yourself or you could sell them

This got enormous potential. a New game? The saga of the elusive white roth. And its offspring.Just remember : never a person by name never a country by name.Or is it to dangerous, or was it never possible? If this sounds boring, dont reply. If not,I will guide you in a possible direction....remember, always fictional

??? No the whole plant. If you had the whole plant time is no factor. You control what happens to the plant. You could never release anything from it if you wanted to. You could bloom out all your roth album seedlings yourself or you could sell them
As I said, once you sell the selvings [and remember it takes TIME to grow seedllings and prove they are what you say they are] the value goes down. It also takes time to grow and sell divisions. If you keep the plant and it dies, Bumkiss!

If you develop a game of the white roth ( or maybe the golden roth, make it a flavum, its fiction anyway) you can back track to when roth was first discovered, and make the rare plant one than fell into the hands of a secretive collector, and then what he might or might not have done with it....selfings, divisions, outcrosses and back crosses, could unfold over the years, to the point where if something is out there today, it could be almost anywhere and could be any permutation of the origional.
Just a game, all fiction anyway, right?

Aha. lets try and figure out. This is going to turn into a rather philosophical discussion. Lets say it turned up somewhere, maybe 15 years ago, with offspring,in a clollection, and it was sold for a fortune to somebody on the other side of the earth,and they started to flower now. Not unlike some PK problems that was encountered. What would happen. all fictional

Latest posts

Back