giant P. sanderianum on ebay

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said, once you sell the selvings [and remember it takes TIME to grow seedllings and prove they are what you say they are] the value goes down. It also takes time to grow and sell divisions. If you keep the plant and it dies, Bumkiss!

Wouldn't go down for years. Again you wouldn't have to sell the selfings. As the plant gets bigger you just divide it. So you have extra copies lol.

back up copies. Personal pleasure and enjoyment????? Rare plants and outstanding clones dissapear all the time into private collections not to be seen again. LOL
I personally would breed with it an release the hybrids. I would wait to release selfings or the mother plant until I felt ready to do so.

With rare plants and animals they only hold their value if they're not used. Which is kind of selfish and defeats the purpose of commercialization.
I amend this statement. Of course they have high value in a private collection but first of all I can't believe the public wouldn't know about a roth album. 2nd, I find it hard to believe someone would cross or breed with it.

If a private person bought it from a wild plant collector in bloom people wouldn't know. It may just be a rumour or not known at all unless the private buyer wanted it shown and known. Right?

why not cross or breed with it? There was only one yellow besseae found wasn't there? It was crossed and bred, selfed, outcrossed back crossed, etc. Still rather rare though.

I still don't get the point. I understand having some unique object of high value; but I really can't understand not sharing it unless it is highly illegal. JMHO.

You're a nice guy Eric, that's why you think of sharing..but many commercial folks who have to make money to stay in business would do just as Paphioland suggested. Most of us grow and love orchids as a hobby, but if I had to feed my family with the proceeds from orchid sales, I'd see them more as a commodity.

You're a nice guy Eric, that's why you think of sharing..but many commercial folks who have to make money to stay in business would do just as Paphioland suggested. Most of us grow and love orchids as a hobby, but if I had to feed my family with the proceeds from orchid sales, I'd see them more as a commodity.

:)You can call me Ken

OK, as I said it would only be profitable to distribute a roth album genetically or by propagation.

True but not everyone is in it for money. Some people just really love the plants! Other like the rarity and other like both.

If that is true wouldn't this person proudly show the plant, and if it was shown wouldn't we know about it?

Some people don't care what other people think or know about. It is for their personal pleasure. Same reason why some don't take things for judging. Others do. It is all personal preference. Some people fall in between. Some start one way and become another. Dealing with people is a big pain in the neck for some and it ruins their orchid experience. For others it enhances it. For some it depends on the individual person they are interacting with. I don't know why but that is just the spectrum of people into orchids....

And hypothetically speaking, since this is all a fantasy...if someone were to receive this plant through wild collecting and without CITES docs etc. they may not want it shouted to the world. They may choose to sit on it for a while. Not literally sit on it, of course:> That would be painful and a horrible waste of plant material.

The pictures don't look like Paph. sanderianum to me. Look like PEoY of St. Swithin. What do you guys think?:)

The pictures don't look like Paph. sanderianum to me. Look like PEoY of St. Swithin. What do you guys think?:)

I own the plant. It is hard to tell from the pic. It could be PEOY or a SAND. Definitely not a St Swithin you can see that from the pic. It absolutely has sand in it. You can tell from the leaves. Whether it is a hybrid or not I can't ascertain until it blooms but the seller was very adamant about it on the phone and in messages.

Back