G'day from Oz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Toned

Hi Folks,

I've been visiting this site for over a year now, amongst others, for knowledge acquisition purposes as I build a Paph & Phrag collection. I hadn't grown Paphs for 30yrs - or any orchids for that matter - and Phrags... well, back then I hadn't even heard of them!

This forum has been a boon for me. And my, how deliciously extravagant has been the development of slippers since then!

After consulting Ozpaph, who has supplied me with some quality plants, and getting his referral, I registered this week. Thank you on both counts, Ivan.

Time will tell if I have anythinng worthwhile to contribute. So, in the meantime I trust you don't mind if I pick the collective brain of ST, as its members have WOWed me with their commitment, knowledge and... generosity. It's a privilege to join this passionate commuity!

Regards & Happy Easter
Tony

Thanks for the welcome

I appreciate your warm welcome, very much.

And Heather, a BIG thank you to you for sorting out my registration :)

Ruth, I'm located on Port Stephens, which is on the Mid North Coast of NSW about 2 hours north of Sydney - God's own! Port Stephens is the coastal jewel in the crown of the Hunter Valley, famous for its wines, thoroughbred horses, beef & lamb, wheat exports and, infamously, its coal exports. However, on my doorstep - Worimi Country - can be found some of the best oysters, prawns (shrimp), commercial & recreational fishing and boating in Australia.

My paternal grandmother, Hope, was indigenous, belonging to the Worimi nation. After 28 yrs of city living, I've returned to country.

This land is so incredibly bountiful! For instance, 75% of all birds in Australia can be found in the Hunter: its home to the famous Dendrobium speciosum, King Orchid or Rock Lilly; Cymbidiums sauve, madidum and canaliculatum; Dockrillia teretifolia, the Bridal Veil Orchid and Dock. linguiforme, the Tongue Orchid; many species of Sarcochilus and; a huge array of terrestrials with extravagant reproductive mimicry strategies!

Beguiled by birds, orchids and fish since childhood, I have a deep and abiding love of nature. As such, I’ve returned home to spoil the inner child by indulging his fascination with Creation’s bounty and to humbly practice and, hopefully, master some of the arts needed for Its appreciation, conservation and preservation.

@Dot "IL faut cultiver le jardin."

If I sound bloated with parochial pride, I make no apologies.

Oops! :eek: A noob and a... knob! Apologies (?)

However, thank you for the welcome and for clearing that up.

No worries, mate (my best Ocker).
I dont know if Ivan is on the forum (or I dont know his 'tag'). He is a great guy and has good quality stuff at reasonable prices (for Oz).

I sent you a PM coupla days ago - did you get it?

And agreed, Ivan is a great guy and the prices, well, as you say, for Oz they're reasonable.

Hidoo and welcome from Kentucky. Glad to have another Aussie on board!
The area where you live sounds magical.

P.S. I've suggested a time to two that Aussies post a glossary of slang
terms so we of the U.S. can keep up. ;>)

Latest posts

Back