New member- Greetings from Brooklyn

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxC

Reaction score
Hi all,

Getting back into growing after a very long hiatus. Have a young family and finally feeling settled enough to commit to caring for lady slippers again. Last time I had a collection they hadn't even discovered Kovachii. It really is a fascinating time to start collecting again.

This go around I am focusing on phrags with a few paths mixed in. My new apartment has outdoor space so I will try my hand at some cypripediums this spring. Would love to connect with others in the NYC area, as well as others growing indoors. Have been really enjoying seeing other members blooms and wanted to say, "hello."

Warmest regards,
Max

Welcome! Which part? Williamsburg?

There 2 other ST members in NYC. I’ll let them introduce themselves

Bushwick, the former edge of the Universe. I used to come out here occasionally for work 15 years ago and we would stop off in Williamsburg on the way back to the city for $1 beers, oh how times have changed.

Wow!!! I have a long way to go. I am going to be at or around 20 plants next week depending on whether or not I head down to Deep Cut Show on Thursday. I have cheated a little bit and have 6 plants that I got in bud or bloom. I balanced that out with some project ebay purchases in need of tlc and a few seedlings. Right now just keeping confined to the windows in the living room, eastern exposure with humidifier running full blast. Eric, how long did that take you and I am assuming you are still adding?
Max

Hi all,

Getting back into growing after a very long hiatus. Have a young family and finally feeling settled enough to commit to caring for lady slippers again. Last time I had a collection they hadn't even discovered Kovachii. It really is a fascinating time to start collecting again.

This go around I am focusing on phrags with a few paths mixed in. My new apartment has outdoor space so I will try my hand at some cypripediums this spring. Would love to connect with others in the NYC area, as well as others growing indoors. Have been really enjoying seeing other members blooms and wanted to say, "hello."

Warmest regards,
Max
Welcome back! I lived in NYC. Major recommendation: get a reverse osmosis filter.

Welcome back! I lived in NYC. Major recommendation: get a reverse osmosis filter.

Happy to be back! I am distilling my water and I was recommended that I do a partial mix with some tap that has been left to let the chlorine and fluoride blow off to get to a sweet spot for pH. Tap is near 7 on the dot and distilled is coming in at 5.86 ph.

Last edited:
I suggest you get your water tested before employing any purification. I know it doesn't cover the entire metropolitan area, but parts of NYC have such pure water that the only thing I'd recommend is carbon to get rid of chlorine/chloramine.

I suggest you get your water tested before employing any purification. I know it doesn't cover the entire metropolitan area, but parts of NYC have such pure water that the only thing I'd recommend is carbon to get rid of chlorine/chloramine.

We were having an issue with brown water and my TDS was coming in at 89 out of the tap, which I think parts of the city see in the 20s and 30s. The browning has disappeared still clocking in at around 61 TDS.

Latest posts

Back