Fredclarkeara After Dark 'SVO Black Pearl' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Mine finally opened ! It was a blooming size plant I got from Fred in July. I love the black color. But the plant is not as pretty as phalaenopsis. But that is okay because I don't have to water this plant during the winter time. I have too many plants already.

I took this photo with a red phalaenopsis for color comparison.

AfterDark_20111220a.JPG

AfterDark_20111220p.JPG

AfterDark_20111220p1.JPG

AWESOME!!! Too cool!
I hope mine blooms this year, it was in bloom at this time last year, no spike yet.

absolutely stunning, a named division such as this must cost a fortune.

A fantastic clone, which thanks to mericloning technique has been made easily available. Thanks to Fred Clarke for this (IMO) one of the best and most interesting orchids hybrids ever.... I think this hybrid is responsible for the growing interest in Caasetinae we are seeing now worldwide!
Unfortunately, the picture with the dark background don't make honor to the real beauty of this plant!
Congratuations for the great culture! In the next years you will have an even more fantastic show with this plant!

The search for the black orchid is over!

Very impressive!

Actually, ide by side, it is not "blacker" than a good Maxillaria schunkeana.. ;-) or a good Catanodes Black Magic (if I recall the hybrids name correctly). Still a great black orchid!

Wonderful...

Mine doesn't want. I don't understand why because I think it's blooming size. The last bulb is more 15cms.

WHat's the size of your blooming bulb please?

Here is another photo taken with a yellow backdrop.

AfterDark_20111220b.JPG

It's very easy to grow this orchid. I have this plant in a 4.5 inch pot packed with moss packed very tight. I tend to underwater (from having too many orchids) so moss works for me. By the time I remember to water this plant, moss is usually very dry that I have to use a saucer if I need to wet it very well.

The largest bulb is about 2 inches. You can find great culture information on Fred Clark's website. I had to review it from time to time to refresh my memory. I think that this plant is flowering late - or just right in my area (North Texas). I water it again lightly today for the sake of unopened flower buds.

Flowers are scented. I don't know how to describe what it smells like. It's not offensive, but funky scent. I got 3 remake seedlings from Ernie earlier this year, but decide to splurge for a larger plant to ensure that I will see its flowers this year. If I see Fred again this year I would want to get the spotted one also.

THank you Peter.

It's a pity that Fred doesn't talk about the special conditions to bloom the catasetinae. We can suppose it's because it's very easy. But not for me.:(

I grow my FdK under light (MH400W), It has same light than my cattleya. Now, the plant have no leave. SO, I'm not very confident for a bloom. And I don't know if I continue to give water or not.
The catasetinae cultur is new for me.

2 pouces, it's really small for a first bloom.

Latest posts

Back