First Bloom Paph. rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cross is 'Raja Kumis' Fcc/Aos x 'Dee Dee's Queen' Am/Aos. 'Raja Kumis' is from 'Rex' x 'Mont Millias' and 'Dee Dee's Queen' is from 'Mt. Millias' x 'Nan Chou'.

Here's Dee Dee's Queen http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SFMay2003/paphroth.html

I have no idea where Dee Dee got her stock but she always showed wonderful paphs. She also had the darkest Berenice I'd ever seen. Just drop dead gorgeous paphs.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I was a little surprised at how much fun it was to watch the blooms open and enjoy them after they were open. There is nothing like a roth. Every grower needs to try growing at least one. Get one of the modern day ones though, something that descended from 'Mont Millias' x 'Rex', 'Mont Millias' x 'Val' or some of modern Japanese breeding. I would stay away from the older breeding using 'Charles E.' and 'Borneo' - they don't have good form and can be difficult to bloom.

Very impressive and in S/H! I'm surprised it doesn't fall over in such a small pot!

The 3-inch pot is sitting in a clay pot to give it a little more stability. Without that, it would topple over!

Very nice... :) :D Any idea who originally gave the clonal name 'Raja Kumis'? It means moustache king in Malay/Indonesian.. :p

It originally came from the Orchid Zone and was the first of the 'Mont Millias' x 'Rex' cross to be awarded an FCC. I imagine the Orchid Zone gave it the name.

very nice. Your roth is worthy of going to a show or judging, if not this blooming, definitely the next blooming.

as to roth breeding, 'Borneo' is not the problem parent, it is 'Charles E'. Charles E is a reluctant bloomer of mediocre quality, and it passes on this trait. Unfortunately a lot of ('Borneo' x 'Charles E') were produced and they ruined the reputation of 'Borneo".

'Borneo' is not the best, its size is a little small, but it is a vigorous clone (for a collected plant) and it has good color, and it is about average in terms of ease of bloom induction. In many ways 'Borneo' looks like 'Mont Milais', enough so that some claim they are divisions of the same collected plant. Personally I think they are different clones, but there is no way to be certain.

very nice. Your roth is worthy of going to a show or judging, if not this blooming, definitely the next blooming.

as to roth breeding, 'Borneo' is not the problem parent, it is 'Charles E'. Charles E is a reluctant bloomer of mediocre quality, and it passes on this trait. Unfortunately a lot of ('Borneo' x 'Charles E') were produced and they ruined the reputation of 'Borneo".

'Borneo' is not the best, its size is a little small, but it is a vigorous clone (for a collected plant) and it has good color, and it is about average in terms of ease of bloom induction. In many ways 'Borneo' looks like 'Mont Milais', enough so that some claim they are divisions of the same collected plant. Personally I think they are different clones, but there is no way to be certain.

I agree with Leo, this roth is worthy and will only get better on future bloomings.

Also agree about the virtues of Borneo...I have a big multi-growth division of Borneo that I am just dying to see bloom (and should be soon). Borneo commands a much higher price today than C.E. as well, for the reasons Leo mentions. I would agree MM is a different clone (much wider dorsal) but Leo is right there are some affinities, especially in terms of color.

There are still some darn nice roths in the older generation. I like them as much as the new ones. But the one posted here is exceptional.

Latest posts

Back