Fall Mid America Pics

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, maybe Im showing my ignorance here, but what is a PK hybrid phrag? Im not much of a phrag grower, but want to be educated.
Also, another part of this post, someone mentioned talking themselves out of buying vietnamense alba. Are they not legal? I thought vietnamense was legal to own in the US.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Yup Uri, that's Bulb. phalaenopsis and you gotta love all the newer people to orchids that don't think twice when you tell them to smell the flowers...

Unfortunately, Piping Rock didn't have any PK hybrids in bloom, but they did have straight PK seedlings for sale. They also had vietnamense alba for sale that I kept talking myself out of.

I got the hangianum and dunkel from a fellow grower, and the gigantifolium, fanaticum, and Phrag. klotzcheanum from Piping Rock.
The gigantifolium is just a little seedling with about a 2 1/2 inch leafspan...so I'm guessing waiting 11 years for Dollgoldi was just a warm up for this little guy :)

Pk stands for Phrag. kovachii. It's mentioned so often these days, that it's easier to use a short form. I belive vietnamense is legal in the U.S. The person was just trying to not spend the money, or add another plant to their collection. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone else will correct me!

"Legalness" is not applied to a species, only individual plants. There is a small population of vietnamense in the US are "legal", and, there's only a tiny chance some of the legal seedlings are albino (correct me if anyone can verify that any of the Antec population bloomed out albino). In all cases I am aware, it takes two generations, many years, to get a "stable population" of albino Paphs (a cross that produces all albino progeny). There are certainly legal and illegal delenatiis, for instance, in the US too, but they're "off the radar" if you will.

-Ernie

Isn't there a Pecteilis sangarikii on the Orchid Inn's Exhibit picture under the title???? How did it relate to the paphs shown???

Yeah there were a few sagarakis in the show, but there usually are in shows around here so I didn't pay it any special attention.

Unfortunately when I got home the gigantifolium seedling and the hangianum both had crown rot that was too far gone to treat. On the up side, the fanaticum spike didn't blast and has gotten longer and the klotzcheanum is now in spike.

Thankfully there is a coral show this weekend so I can get my saltwater fix too. :)

Isn't there a Pecteilis sangarikii on the Orchid Inn's Exhibit picture under the title???? How did it relate to the paphs shown???

It doesn't. I don't think he brought it. Someone was selling a couple of them (Eric Michaels from Hoosier) i think. My guess is he bought it, and stuck it in. I may be wrong.

The Dendrochilum is HUGE. They made one of the younger judges count the flowers. I know it was in the thousands, but cant remember exactly. Hey Jon, you remember what they said the count was at our meeting?

...Someone was selling a couple of them (Eric Michaels from Hoosier) i think.
Maybe the wrong place for this, but tonight I heard that Eric Michaels bought up all of Hoosier's flasks and is starting his own business. If true, that would be great.

hey, thanks for the photos! I really enjoyed seeing what the show is like over there!

It doesn't. I don't think he brought it. Someone was selling a couple of them (Eric Michaels from Hoosier) i think. My guess is he bought it, and stuck it in. I may be wrong.

There was a Pecteilis sagarikii for sale at the table too...the inflorescence had pretty much faded, so only one person actually asked about it from what I can recall. I ended up taking the in-bloom one outdoors at teardown so I could snap some decent photos for later reference; there will be a painting at some point, just haven't decided how I want to do it! :)

Latest posts

Back