Fall Mid America Pics

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
Another great Mid America was this weekend and I think it turned out well. Our society co-hosted it with the Greater Cincinnati Orchid Society. There were many great vendors and exhibits, I just wish I would have remembered my camera on the first day instead of the last.

I ended up buying a few slippers; Paph. hangianum, delenatii v. dunkel, gigantifolium, a fanaticum in spike, and a multigrowth Phrag. klotzcheanum. There were plenty of others I had to talk myself out of though.

The society display we put in did VERY well and garnered the AOS Show Trophy, the Mid America Orchid Conference Show Trophy, and a 92 point Gold Medal Certificate. We also had the Best In Show plant, a Cattleya hybrid belonging to a local grower.

Our display, the 'MAOC Rainforest' GMC/AOS from the different angles
IMG_4580.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

IMG_4586.jpg

The loot
IMG_4581.jpg

Best of Show, Lc. Mary Elizabeth Bohn
IMG_4582.jpg

Cincinnati's Exhibit
IMG_4584.jpg

Windswept in Time Orchids' Exhibit
IMG_4583.jpg

Orchid Inn's Exhibit
IMG_4587.jpg

Piping Rock Orchids' Exhibit
IMG_4588.jpg

Very nice pics! Thanks for showing. That Cattleya is quite nice. Looks like it has Laelia purpurata in the background. Do you know which Phrags are in Piping Rock's display? The flowers look huge! Very nice displays also. One more thing - did you say you got a Paph. hangianum?! Am I remembering correctly, or wasn't there a lot of talk here lately about hangianums not being avaliable in the U.S.? Not that I care, since I'm in Canada, but which vendor did you get it from?

Very nice picture thanks for sharing - is that Bulbophyllum phalaenopsis on your display?

Excellent display! I love the more natural settings rather than pots plunked on a table. Sounds like a great show and sale!
Peter T.

Yup Uri, that's Bulb. phalaenopsis and you gotta love all the newer people to orchids that don't think twice when you tell them to smell the flowers...

Unfortunately, Piping Rock didn't have any PK hybrids in bloom, but they did have straight PK seedlings for sale. They also had vietnamense alba for sale that I kept talking myself out of.

I got the hangianum and dunkel from a fellow grower, and the gigantifolium, fanaticum, and Phrag. klotzcheanum from Piping Rock.
The gigantifolium is just a little seedling with about a 2 1/2 inch leafspan...so I'm guessing waiting 11 years for Dollgoldi was just a warm up for this little guy :)

Yup Uri, that's Bulb. phalaenopsis and you gotta love all the newer people to orchids that don't think twice when you tell them to smell the flowers...

Unfortunately, Piping Rock didn't have any PK hybrids in bloom, but they did have straight PK seedlings for sale. They also had vietnamense alba for sale that I kept talking myself out of.

I got the hangianum and dunkel from a fellow grower, and the gigantifolium, fanaticum, and Phrag. klotzcheanum from Piping Rock.
The gigantifolium is just a little seedling with about a 2 1/2 inch leafspan...so I'm guessing waiting 11 years for Dollgoldi was just a warm up for this little guy :)
Out of curiosity do you know what Glenn charging for vietnamense alba seedlings?

Unfortunately, Piping Rock didn't have any PK hybrids in bloom,

If that's right, then what is in his display? To me they look like, from left to right, Alfredo Manrique, and possibly 2 plants of Suzanne Decker. If I could zoom in closer, I could read the tags.

Nope, didn't register for the show to hear the talks, just did setup/tear down and shopping lol

The vietnamense alba seedling was $200

The Phrag on the left was Jason Fisher, and the others I'll look up when I get home...if they were PK hybrids I would have gotten close ups ;)

Right back at ya ;)

And I gotta admit, your paintings are even more incredible in person! My past dabbles in art are on here somewhere, and I could only imagine being able to paint like that.

Hot Lips [registered by G. Decker] = Hanne Popow x Living Fire, that's OK.
Hanne Popow x Sedenii = Randy MacDonald. should have some purplish color.
Elizabeth March, the color is odd for that one.
Well I was way off but I wasn't there so...

OK, the Phrags are left to right:
Hot Lips 'Haley Suzanne' HCC/AOS
Elizabeth March
Hanne Popow x Sedenii
Jason Fischer (no flower)

Interesting. Thanks. The flowers look way larger in the photo than what they are. Maybe that's just me though, although Eric though they were Pk hybrids too...

Latest posts

Back