EYOF St Ouen

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achamore

Reaction score
One of the plants I recently bought from Sue in Bristol, this is the one though that spurred me into making the 10 hour drive. Have struggled to find a good St. Ouen for the past several years, at least one that has this pink colouring. This is an EYOF plant. I just noticed that it has now been almost exactly 19 years since this was first registered.

Such a dark morning, that even though I had the plant facing a large eastern window, I had to use between 8 and 13 second exposures. (ISO 100 and f18 are the other settings.)

Very pretty. I agree it has been difficult finding these. I have been searching for a while and have taken to trying make my own. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very nice.
I wonder who will be selling these EYOF plants now that Ratcliffes has all but ceased trading?
David

Burnham Orchids are the only folk in the UK who take the trouble. They go in a van maybe once a year. It hardly pays for itself, as there are such costs involved. And the EYOF are producing smaller batches. It used to be they would have a few hundred plants of a new cross which would be sold to folk like Ratcliffes and Burnhams and others, but now they have batches of maybe 25 to 30 plants in total, so far fewer are available. As one person put it to me last year, the EYOF now has as its only priority, winning awards at shows. Scant interest in the likes of us being able to get ahold of the lovely crosses they create. A great pity.

This was another St Ouen which I had in my early days of growing phrags, sadly lost this plant in the move to Scotland 12 years ago. I took this photo in 1999 I believe. It was almost certainly an EYOF plant.

Very, very nice, and cool pics!!!! (I use from 400 up to 3200 Iso :) ) Jean

Using ISO 100 gives the best colour saturation. If you are using a tripod then you may as well use a low ISO. The higher ISO I only use when I am hand-holding the camera when out and about.

ISO is a bit of an odd thing with digital cameras. It is a hangover from the film days. Fuji Velvia ISO 50 was and still is the film photographers film of choice for deepest colour saturation. But one would never use it for action shots..!

Back