Erwinia on Delrosi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Lance, God, I'm glad it's not Erwinia! My beloved Delrosi.

By the way, should I still keep it closer to the fan, or will that spread the pores around more? Does fungus dislike more air movement?

Fungus grows best in still stagnant air conditions so increasing the air movement will help do prevent the fungal conditions.

Some fungus disperse spores through water and not air. This is probably the case with what your plant has.

If you are not seeing this spread to other plants in the amount of time you have had the plant then it may not be very contagious. It may very well be the result of this plant having some metabolic condition that encourages the fungal growth. This is exactly the type of infection that excesses of certain nutrients may cause to manifest.

Fungus grows best in still stagnant air conditions so increasing the air movement will help do prevent the fungal conditions.

Some fungus disperse spores through water and not air. This is probably the case with what your plant has.

If you are not seeing this spread to other plants in the amount of time you have had the plant then it may not be very contagious. It may very well be the result of this plant having some metabolic condition that encourages the fungal growth. This is exactly the type of infection that excesses of certain nutrients may cause to manifest.
Thanks again Lance, really appreciated.

I haven't noticed any of the others showing any kind of similar symptoms, but I'll keep an eye out.

Do you know which nutrients, or is it just general imbalance on nutrients that may cause it? Apparently, it has gotten worse since I got it, so it would be good to know (especially if it might be prone to get this particular type of fungus).

I'm about to order a fungicide, but I'm wondering if this will work on Paphs? It's apparently a fungus, trichoderma, that's used as a fungicide. Is this dangerous to Paphs? It's used on indoor plants among other things.

Thanks again Lance, really appreciated.

I haven't noticed any of the others showing any kind of similar symptoms, but I'll keep an eye out.

Without trying to start an argument and only giving my opinion.
Based on trials and reports here on ST it appears that the main nutrient problem could be Potassium. Infections like this are what I think of when folks refer to potassium toxicity.

But also we must consider fungal infections just happen sometimes by simple exposure. Much like athletes foot, toenail fungus and ringworm on human skin..... Why do some people get infected and others do not? Once infected the fungus does not go away eaisly without treatment.

Without trying to start an argument and only giving my opinion.
Based on trials and reports here on ST it appears that the main nutrient problem could be Potassium. Infections like this are what I think of when folks refer to potassium toxicity.

But also we must consider fungal infections just happen sometimes by simple exposure. Much like athletes foot, toenail fungus and ringworm on human skin..... Why do some people get infected and others do not? Once infected the fungus does not go away eaisly without treatment.
Thanks Lance. So this could be caused by too much K in other words?

Since it had this infection when I got it, I wonder what I did to make it worse... I'll never understand flowers and chemistry I think. :confused:

I'm going to see if I can find something more besides the fungicide I asked about. I want to treat it now, but have nothing on hand.

That's it, I officially hate Sweden. I can't find any fungicide, except the one listed above, and another, sulfur based one. The problem is that they work against different types of fungus, and I don't know which one is eating my Delrosi. :sob:

EDIT:
YES! I've finally gotten hold of that person I was hoping for could/would help me, and he can!

Oh, God, what a day! I'm not meant to have Paphs, they are too nerve wracking for my mental health... :crazy:

I don't believe there is something like K- toxicity. But apart from this:

It's hard to believe that your plant needs a treatment right now, in this moment, after some months of fungal infection. That plant obviously is not going to die tomorrow.
And it's not very frecuent that neither you or someone in your neighborhood hasn't got any aspirins...
As trithor said, keep it apart from the other, healthy ones, there is never to much ventilation, change substrate and keep it on the drier side. Of course do spores fly through the air! Always, at all times! And they need far less 'wind' than the air movement Paphios enjoy! But a fungus spore will not infect a healthy plant, unless there are wounds, open tissues. So, don't rub to hard...
And never touch first this plant and then the other, healthy plants. Make a kind of quarantine routine. Strenghten your plants, fungal infections are typical of autumn, falling temperatures and very high humidity during nights, less light.
And please, there are very good reasons for not selling every biocide in the next shop...!

I don't believe there is something like K- toxicity. But apart from this:

It's hard to believe that your plant needs a treatment right now, in this moment, after some months of fungal infection. That plant obviously is not going to die tomorrow.
And it's not very frecuent that neither you or someone in your neighborhood hasn't got any aspirins...
As trithor said, keep it apart from the other, healthy ones, there is never to much ventilation, change substrate and keep it on the drier side. Of course do spores fly through the air! Always, at all times! And they need far less 'wind' than the air movement Paphios enjoy! But a fungus spore will not infect a healthy plant, unless there are wounds, open tissues. So, don't rub to hard...
And never touch first this plant and then the other, healthy plants. Make a kind of quarantine routine. Strenghten your plants, fungal infections are typical of autumn, falling temperatures and very high humidity during nights, less light.
And please, there are very good reasons for not selling every biocide in the next shop...!
No, but it feels good to know I have something that hopefully will work; it means I won't have trouble sleeping because I'm trying to find solutions to the problem. Might sound silly, but I get very engaged (read: obsessed) with my Paphs, especially if there's something wrong with them. Now, I can let go and look forward to tomorrow. :)

No rubbing, I haven't touched it after testing with the tissue. And this guy is now considered having the black plague. Hopefully, this won't lead to my washing my hands too often, I already have a problem not to...

Why should I change the substrate? I will do it when I have something to treat it with, but now it feels a bit pointless, since I'll have to do it again after starting the treatment. :confused:

And no, I don't have Aspirin, since they don't work very well for me, and I'm an unsocial bastard, so I avoid my neighbors as much as possible. I don't even greet them if I can help it.

I know that, but there should be something, not crop-oriented that you need about a 1000 different permissions to even order, available on the web at least. I know why they're so regulated, I'm not that stupid, thank you very much.

I use a sulphur spray, and it's more of a preventive than a curative. Works well on fungus gnats, too. Still, it would be my first solution for this type of slow-growing rot. If you're going to try Aspirin, make sure to crush the tablet first before dissolving it - otherwise, it will take forever to dissolve.

That's it, I officially hate Sweden. I can't find any fungicide, except the one listed above, and another, sulfur based one. The problem is that they work against different types of fungus, and I don't know which one is eating my Delrosi. :sob:

EDIT:
YES! I've finally gotten hold of that person I was hoping for could/would help me, and he can!

Oh, God, what a day! I'm not meant to have Paphs, they are too nerve wracking for my mental health... :crazy:

Go to the Pharmacy and buy an antifungal cream or liquid that is for human use. Try applying it directly to the infected spot just as if it was on your own skin. It might work.

Thanks Lance. So this could be caused by too much K in other words?

That is one of the points of the K-lite theory.
But excess K probably won't cause the fungus to grow but it may well encourage it to grow or provide the correct nutrient balance in the plant tissue that provides a good host for the fungus.

Since it had this infection when I got it, I wonder what I did to make it worse... I'll never understand flowers and chemistry I think. :confused:

Maybe you did nothing to cause it to get worse. Since it already had it when you got it the problem was already there. It it is caused by a nutrient excess it takes a long time for the plant to loose the excess, especially if you are providing high amounts of the nutrients.

I don't believe there is something like K- toxicity

Do you believe that fungus requires nutrition? Do you know that plant tissue that is rich in potassium does not provide a more robust media for fungal growth than tissue low in K?

Agreed. In fact the infected spots are rather minor at this point.

I don't believe aspirins will help :poke:

Of course do spores fly through the air! Always, at all times!

Think again about this statement. Not all fungus species produce airborn spores. I bet spores from this type of fungus is waterborn.

But a fungus spore will not infect a healthy plant, unless there are wounds, open tissues.

Are you sure about this? Only in a wound?

Strenghten your plants, fungal infections are typical of autumn, falling temperatures and very high humidity during nights, less light.

This is exactly what the low potassium K-lite fertilizer seems to do, strengthen the plants.

Chances are that if it IS a fungal infection, it is a fungus which requires moist and humid conditions to spread, so simply moving the plant to a lower humidity area with a high air circulation will control the problem.
My plants with erwinia have stabilized with this same treatment and are looking like at least 90% of them will make it. I am sure that your low virulence infection (with whatever it is) will improve with those simple measures. If you go to any aquarium shop/pet shop, you should be able to get a small bottle of fungicide which will work for your Delrosi as well. I would use that fungicide in a dilute form with a cotton swab to wash the marks off the plant and then give it a general drench with the same solution and continue with the dry and air movement treatment.
(I say this all with the assumption that it is fungal, whatever it is it is very low virulence and does not seem to cause damage to the underlying tissue to any great extent. If it was my plant, I would simply try to wipe the spots off with a chlorine solution, and then 'watch and wait') I really don't think you should panic too much.

Mutant, Its not erwinia so you can at least rule that out. It is a terrible problem and you should at least spray a good contact fungicide like chlorothalonil and insecticide/miticide on all your plants. I had exactly the same problem and asked here as well with no definitive answers. I've tried googling, books etc but no luck so I don't even know if its bacterial, fungal or insect or mite! I would be eternally grateful to anyone who can finally tell me what it is. Meanwhile you can look through this thread I started a while back. Please if you do find out what it is let me know! I'm getting it much less now and I don't really know why but I seem to remember it was worst in summer.
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28851

Trithor: I'll do as you suggest, and go to a local pet shop. The other thing I'm getting, is something anti-bacterial that seems to kill most nasty things, while still being environmental friendly (sounds too good to be true, but I'm willing to give it a shot).

Mutant, Its not erwinia so you can at least rule that out. It is a terrible problem and you should at least spray a good contact fungicide like chlorothalonil and insecticide/miticide on all your plants. I had exactly the same problem and asked here as well with no definitive answers. I've tried googling, books etc but no luck so I don't even know if its bacterial, fungal or insect or mite! I would be eternally grateful to anyone who can finally tell me what it is. Meanwhile you can look through this thread I started a while back. Please if you do find out what it is let me know! I'm getting it much less now and I don't really know why but I seem to remember it was worst in summer.
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28851
YES! This is exactly what I have on my Delrosi! I'll add insectide to the shopping list. That fungicide is not available here, unfortunately.

i had this exact problem, and it killed several plants. i originally thought it was erwina too.

i had been using R/O water with a hydroponic fertilizer that i assumed had enough Calcium and Magnesium. I controlled the immediate symptons with Phyton 27, then switched to tapwater and low-K fert. I also started keeping my growing space more clean and was more vigilant about cutting off old brown leaves, etc.

After 6 months the problem was completely gone. I still use tapwater, but this year I went back to a standard urea/ammonia 30-30-30 fert (1/4 tsp per gal) but rotate in K-Lite a couple times a month (also 1/4 tsp per gallon). Have had zero recurrence.

How about taking the plant to your local university department of Microbiology and try and convince someone to do a couple of slides and see if they can identify the culprit. I have always found our local university to be very helpful, and it would make a huge difference to your treatment chances if you had an idea if it is bacterial, chemical or fungal (obviously viral would be sad as you would end up tossing your plant).

I think it is not erwinia. Erwinia spreads fast and base of plant gets rot within few days. No effective therapy only prevention can be useful, I use bleach, 1 ml/ l, doesn't hurt plants but helps to prevent spread of infection.

Latest posts

Back