Erwinia on Delrosi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had this exact problem, and it killed several plants. i originally thought it was erwina too.

i had been using R/O water with a hydroponic fertilizer that i assumed had enough Calcium and Magnesium. I controlled the immediate symptons with Phyton 27, then switched to tapwater and low-K fert. I also started keeping my growing space more clean and was more vigilant about cutting off old brown leaves, etc.

After 6 months the problem was completely gone. I still use tapwater, but this year I went back to a standard urea/ammonia 30-30-30 fert (1/4 tsp per gal) but rotate in K-Lite a couple times a month (also 1/4 tsp per gallon). Have had zero recurrence.
I'm using K-lite again, not exclusively though, so hopefully it'll strengthen the plants.

How about taking the plant to your local university department of Microbiology and try and convince someone to do a couple of slides and see if they can identify the culprit. I have always found our local university to be very helpful, and it would make a huge difference to your treatment chances if you had an idea if it is bacterial, chemical or fungal (obviously viral would be sad as you would end up tossing your plant).
Again, a great idea. I'm going to call them and ask if they would be interested. Thanks Trithor! :D

Latest posts

Back