Encyclia cordigera 'Dragon'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
I got this plant way back in the 80's from Alan Salzman in Rochester, N.Y. He brought it to the Toronto show as an exhibit plant. However, I went crazy for it and bought it from him before he had time to put it in his display.

It's been through thick and thin with me. Now, once again, it's on a come-back and is reclaiming it's former glory. There were many years where I was not very attentive and it suffered.....and it did not bloom. But, it's done well since the freeze of '08 and it put on a good show this year for me. Although, the colour isn't as vibrant as I've seen it in the past. I need to investigate what this species needs to boost the colour. It's getting very high light right now and I'm wondering if I should've given it more shade soon after the flowers opened.

25713.jpg

25714.jpg

Foliage looks excelent, and the color is a good as I've seen on any other.

But I've seen a lot with rather pinched or folded lips, and this is about the flatest lip I've seen in this species.

Wonderful:clap:

Thank you for all your nice comments everyone. It does smell wonderful! The colour is a little bit washed out. I think the high light has faded it a bit. This clone is so brightly and intensely coloured that even when a bit washed out, it's still pretty darned good; but, when I saw Alan Salzman walk into the building with it in his show box, way back in the 80's, my eyes were immediately drawn to it and I crossed the room in a flash to try and convince him that he should sell it to me. To my utter surprise and delight, he agreed! Until now, I hadn't fully appreciated how exceptionally flat and full the lip is on this clone. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. I've always been so fixated on the colour, I missed that it had better than normal form too. I've never used it in breeding. I'm going to self it tomorrow and cross it with pollen from a nice Cattleya Lawre-Mossiae var. coerulea.

Latest posts

Back