Phragmipedium Wössner Supergrande

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
This is a cross between Prag. longifolium and the species formerly known as warszewiczii but now known as P. humboldtii or P. popowii depending on who you ask. I honestly don't even know if Phragmipedium Wössner Supergrande is the proper name anymore and even if it is, I don't know if it'll be different tomorrow so I just go by what the tag says.

In bloom once again. Some of you got divisions of this plant back in the last Slippertalk auction and I've posted pics of this before.

This is a plant that took many years before it started blooming for me, but once it did, it's been a reliable bloomer, often throwing out spikes in the winter and in the summer. It currently has 4 spikes, and I strongly suspect there are more to come. It's putting on quite the show this year.

Honestly, this is one that seems to thrive on neglect and is adaptable to watering. Normally I keep it sitting in a saucer of water, but this past year it was abused. The foliage isn't in the best of shape, but it seems to be tremendously happy. Whatever. LOL

The flowers are quite large, and while I've certainly seen darker WSGs, this one is still nice. Ignore the pink tint, that's the lighting in my grow room.

One thing I noticed this year that I'd not noticed in the past is that the flowers are fragrant. After flowering a different humboldtii/popowii hybrid a couple years back and noticing a fragrance on it, some folks at Slippertalk confirmed that the species is reported to be fragrant. The scent is faint and is really only detectable in the morning and early afternoon. The description I'm about to give sounds a bit gross, but it's actually not anything I'd describe as unpleasant. It's got a musky smell, like men's cologne, and is reminiscent of animal urine. Weird and gross sounding, I know, but that's the best way I can think of to describe it.

XWdD4gkl.jpg

VQ3TGL4l.jpg

pr8j7Wrl.jpg

I hope the folks that got one of these are doing well with it. It's a lovely plant and flower.

Yah urine or sweat smell for some of my caudatum hybrids

Until a couple of years ago, I had no idea any of the species in this section were fragrant. There really aren't many/any references to this that I found. After I purchased a Phrag. Predator, I noticed the smell and tracked it down to those flowers. I had a moment where I had to tell myself, I know I'm smelling that, I know I'm not that crazy. LOL

For what it's worth, I never noticed a scent on this one until this blooming. I do have other caudatum (and close relatives) hybrids and I've not noticed any fragrance from them.

It's a scent that "works" because it's on the faint side. I think if it were a very heavy, strong scent, it would be unpleasant.

Latest posts

Back