Ebay gone mad

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And for a hybrid! Insanity. Although a friend showed us some Paph hybrids for sale at the Tokyo Dome and the most expensive was around $26.000 and that for a silly single flowered complex. 10 or 12 thousand dollar tags were common!

yeah, I dont think it's FCC potential...the sepal is nice but the flowers are too far spaced from each other, not oriented well enough (tilted) and like you said, the petals are too droopy..would like to see more rounded shoulders..especially for an FCC and that price

Well, everyone has a different view and taste.

Whoever finds this nice enough for their taste and is willing to put down the money, why not? It is a free market after all.

You know, there are many many wealthy people out there, right?
That is nothing.

And for a hybrid! Insanity. Although a friend showed us some Paph hybrids for sale at the Tokyo Dome and the most expensive was around $26.000 and that for a silly single flowered complex. 10 or 12 thousand dollar tags were common!

Not justifying the price but makes lots more sense for complex. Although complex prices should be coming down as average quality has improved in good crosses. And demand I think is prob down. But if you can get the price then more power to you.

yeah, I dont think it's FCC potential...the sepal is nice but the flowers are too far spaced from each other, not oriented well enough (tilted) and like you said, the petals are too droopy..would like to see more rounded shoulders..especially for an FCC and that price

The spike is not staked properly that is why it is droopy. I prefer flowers to be well spaced. It's hard to even tell flower spacing from the pic. Much of flower arrangement is environment. Like how they are facing. The negative for this flower are petal width and lack of synsepal. Although the picture isn't great so hard to see. The dimensions are certainly not mind blowing. Only three flowers in ideal climate with multiple growths. That's concerning. Also why photo the top flower usually the second flower is best. The picture really is just not good enough to accurately evaluate I think.

It is all about perceived value. Also could be a marketing ploy, list an "average" plant with an obnoxious price then follow that up with more realistic pricing. The buzz about the $4500 plant is advertising for the $200 plant that is certainly more obtainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is all about perceived value. Also could be a marketing ploy, list an "average" plant with an obnoxious price then follow that up with more realistic pricing. The buzz about the $4500 plant is advertising for the $200 plant that is certainly more obtainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that makes a lot of sense ..actually

Well, everyone has a different view and taste.

Whoever finds this nice enough for their taste and is willing to put down the money, why not? It is a free market after all.

You know, there are many many wealthy people out there, right?
That is nothing.

there are many wealthy people out there...but I would imagine that if they are going to spend money on this they would want it to be a 'one of a kind' situation...this is not a one of a kind..so if they buy this that pretty much makes them a fool...a fool with a lot of money

I agree. This is good but certainly not one of a kind as I've seen quite a few of this quality and better.

Just saying the difference in taste and view though.
Some people don't care much about flatness, size, and such.
They just look and like it enough, and can afford, they just go for it. No logic. Not a fool in his/her sense. Just owning something what they are happy with. What others think is meaningless.

I would think people that have enough money to throw down 4 gs on a mediocre plant would have enough sense to google it and find one that is truly worth the extra money, compare that one to ramon de los santos plant

i would not call this a mediocre plant. I think Ken pretty much nailed it with his commentary.

I would call this a very high AM, possibly a 90 point FCC. I saw an FCC JB get awarded here with 90 points once and it was very similar except it was not as dark (normal adductum parent).

So it is a very nice plant. 4k is too high for it in my opinion but it is whatever the market will bear in the end.

Latest posts

Back