Double Kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely kovachii! Mine grow OK, but they keep generating growths that get large (look FS to me), then throw up 2 new shoots each and atrophy. The new shoots repeat the same cycle. Any idea what might be happening? Could it be feeding?

Thanks for any advice,

Alex

Lovely kovachii! Mine grow OK, but they keep generating growths that get large (look FS to me), then throw up 2 new shoots each and atrophy. The new shoots repeat the same cycle. Any idea what might be happening? Could it be feeding?

Thanks for any advice,

Alex

A heavy feeding will turn the leaves tips black and die back down to the crown.

But if your growth are growing nicely and suddenly are growing fainter and fade out, you should have a look at the temperature…

I had a similar problem in the past, better growth during the winter time and regression during the summer time. I putted the trays on the greenhouse floor during the summer time, cool and wet concrete keep the pots and roots cooler and they like that. No more problems since!

I had a similar problem in the past, better growth during the winter time and regression during the summer time. I putted the trays on the greenhouse floor during the summer time, cool and wet concrete keep the pots and roots cooler and they like that. No more problems since!

I'll have to give this a try - I have also seen this problem, of young growths dying back. Thanks for the tip..!

Kovachii likes to send up multiple new growths from each old growth, more so than any other phrag I have known.

So it is now 17 days on from those first photos I posted, and the blooms are still fine, but have reached the end of any growth of course. One reached 22cm across, and the other 21cm. Brought the plant out of the greenhouse and into a cold room by an eastern facing window, seems happy there, and no risk of slugs gnawing it... Just the pang now of knowing I will shortly be saying goodbye to these blooms for another year..!

I'm astonished. The blooms only showed they were clearly fading yesterday, so they lasted 4 weeks. I haven't had them last beyond 18 to 20 days before.

Latest posts

Back