Double Kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achamore

Reaction score
Old Faithfull: this lovely kovachii blooms each autumn, but this is the first time its had two at once.

Unsure why / how the colour streak came about in the 2nd of the blooms.

The blooms are each about 7" across (roughly 18cm) at the moment, but they have only just opened up, so will get a bit larger over the coming week especially. I would expect them to reach about 8" across or roughly 20cm as a minimum. The spread from bloom to bloom (at their greatest extent) is about 26" / 66cm.

What mix are you using for it? Do you let it sir in a tray of water? Great looking plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What mix are you using for it? Do you let it sir in a tray of water? Great looking plant.

I haven't repotted it since buying it 5 years ago (?) but I think there's a fair amount of stone in the mix. I certainly added limestone on top. Yes, it sits in a tray of about 2cm of water, and I water it heavily every day. Our water is very acidic spring water, loaded with dissolved salts.

WOW!!!!!

Water every day??? Geez... maybe I am underwatering my Phrags.

WOW!!!!!

Water every day??? Geez... maybe I am underwatering my Phrags.

As I understand it, in nature they live on hillsides that have water running down continually (more or less) over the roots, so watering these just once daily seems to me to be the minimum. I sometimes water them heavily twice daily. They seem to love it.

The long-petalled species are the ones that prefer water only every 2nd or 3rd day. Took me 14 years of growing them badly before someone mentioned this to me, so I figure its good info to put out here.

As I understand it, in nature they live on hillsides that have water running down continually (more or less) over the roots, so watering these just once daily seems to me to be the minimum. I sometimes water them heavily twice daily. They seem to love it.

Yes I went to Manolo Enrique's talk on PK in the wild. During the "dry season" it only downpours every day (I guess starting around noon). During the wet season it rains continuously for days on end. He doesn't even try to access the plants during the wet season since the flooding is so treacherous.

His pics of a tour to PK in the dry season showed a very muddy track that took a few hours from the parking area. They got a few minutes to take pics and the rains came in and the left the site. In minutes the water on the trail was up past their ankles and the creek crossings were pretty scary.

Yes the plants were on a steep hillside, but if you scooped a handful of dirt away there was water flowing through the soil. I've posted the water chemistry of the interstitial water around the PK roots in another thread.

Latest posts

Back