Divisions & roots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

HELP! Opinion/experience needed!
My husband purchased this division for me for Christmas, upon arrival I repotted as 25% of the potting mix was in the box. Was not happy to see this:

It's 7 growths, 2 maybe a third in spike, the plant appears very healthy. The seller claims the division was made 6 months ago, & new growths on paphs will put out new roots after blooming. Do you find this to be the case? She will gladly take it back. Would you send it back?

I wouldn't be happy with those roots either. Not to say I haven't done that to a few on my plants myself. If I were you I'd take a piece of that green twisty wire that many people use to hold their flowers spikes. Cut a piece and make a circle the size of a nickle or quarter on each end. In order to do this just twist the wire onto it's self. Then grab the wire in the middle and twist it around the base of the roots. Truthful, with a division as large as your speaking of I'd do this with a second wire as well. Then repot it as usual. The wires will really hold that plant down in the mix so that when you water it, it won't move. I recently learned this trick from Hadley of Marriott Orchids. A couple of weeks ago while I was there Hadley was dividing a plant to sell me a division. A single growth broke off with no roots at all. He took one wire and did what was described above and potted it up. Let me tell you, I know that paph will grow roots if you do as shown.

The leaves have the healthy green look.
The few roots also look healthy
If the price is right, don't send it back. More important, because it is a gift from your husband, it is nice to keep the plant and nurse the roots to grow back, I believe they will grow back.

Thanks Bob -
I will certainly give it a try IF I decide to keep it. It seems a bit backwards to me, wouldn't a plant need the new roots or good roots to support the new growths? I'd like to think I have good conditions in the GH and if I want a Maudiae 'The Queen', a division is the only way to get it, so I may have to babysit an $80 plant!? Decisions, decisions ......

Rose,

FWIW, I grow 'The Queen' (AKA 'Bankhaus') and it doesn't ever have a big flush of roots. Does fine on with what, as you said, seems to be too few roots. Although the roots is does have are fat (large diameter). At first I tried to fed it, on a regular basis, a extra blast of a rooting hormone compound. But I don't think it made a big difference.

I think it may just be the nature of this cultivar.

charlie c

I would give it a try! Bob gave nice directions and Hien and Charlie name two good reasons why to keep it...:D! Unless the seller has another one, with more roots and same growths!!!

I wouldn't be thrilled if I found the roots in that condition, but I wouldn't be all that worried either. This is a vigorous cultivar that should grow additional roots in no time at all. I would just carefully repot it and provide as optimal environmental, watering and feeding conditions as possible. This is such a good grower and performer that I would actually be surprised if the plant even skipped a beat.

Rose,

FWIW, I grow 'The Queen' (AKA 'Bankhaus') and it doesn't ever have a big flush of roots. Does fine on with what, as you said, seems to be too few roots. Although the roots is does have are fat (large diameter). At first I tried to fed it, on a regular basis, a extra blast of a rooting hormone compound. But I don't think it made a big difference.

I think it may just be the nature of this cultivar.

charlie c

Are 'The Queen' and 'Bankhaus' really considered to be the same clone? I've seen both (at least that's what the labels said) in flower and did not find them that similar.

"Are 'The Queen' and 'Bankhaus' really considered to be the same clone? I've seen both (at least that's what the labels said) in flower and did not find them that similar."

According to Orchids Limited, they are the same clone. They offer 'Bankhaus' for $100.00 and they say it's the same clone as 'The Queen'.

If this plant was advertised as being established, then, you didn't get your money's worth. Maybe the divsion was made recently or maybe it was made 6 months ago and just hasn't rooted well, although being the summer months, it should have sent out new roots and got itself established by now.

I bought a Maudiae 'The Queen' last winter. It had one bloomed growth; one growth in bloom and one starter growth. It cost me $100.00. I repotted it and although the plant had obviously been in the pot for some time, the root system lacked somewhat. So, I cut the stem to save the plant's strength and potted it back up in fresh mix. 7 healthy growths for $80 is a good price. However, I would remove all the flower spikes in order to force the plant to do some growing and rooting instead of trying to set seed, which is what the flowers are for, from the plant's point of view.

Bottom line, if it was supposed to be established, it's not and rather than send it back, I'd ask for about half the cost refunded. If it was not specifically advertised to be "established", then, you need to accept that you got a big division of a great clone for just $80. So, now you have to sacrifice the buds and root it and establish it yourself. You can do that. Maudiae isn't hard to grow and in a year or two, you'll have a much larger, multi-growth, multi-stemmed gorgeous plant to show off. All of this of course, is assuming that the foliage is firm, green and in prime health. The roots, although few, do look healthy and able to function okay.

Rose, I think the plant is okay. I went to an inaugural show and they had quite a few dealers who had small slipper orchids. I bought a particular orchid "Ultor" and it had 2 growths about 15cm. When I got home I always repot my newly bought plants and found that it had no roots. I took a small handful of NZ spagnum moss and put it at the base. I used a mixture of 20% pearlite and 80% coconut husk with a little bonemeal mixed in. In the bottom of the pot I put lava rock from Hawaii. on the top I put a small layer of lava rock again. 6 months later the leaves extended to 60cms. I have quite a bit of success with my mixture and wouldn't worry about slippers with short roots. I hope this info helps you. Bernhard

Thanks for replies guys, you've been very helpful! It appears if I want a Maudiae 'The Queen', then I'm going to have to babysit it a while! I think I have pretty good conditions in the GH & knowing it lacks roots & probably always will to some extent, no overpotting or overwatering and let it grow!

The leaves have the healthy green look.
The few roots also look healthy
If the price is right, don't send it back. More important, because it is a gift from your husband, it is nice to keep the plant and nurse the roots to grow back, I believe they will grow back.

Hien - you're a sweetie as always! My husband wouldn't have a problem with that, he'd hate to see $80 down the drain!

If I gave something like that to my girlfriend [now ex BTW] she'd have said "typical male" and thrown it back! :p
Nice that she's your EX! I appreciate the thought & effort on his part! When I first showed an interest in orchids he went to a GH near his work & the closest thing to an orchid they had was an orchid cactus! :rollhappy: Well after all it did have orchid in it's name! A good dose of systemic granules took care of the healthy scale population!

[QUOTE
Nice that she's your EX! I agree
I appreciate the thought & effort on his part! When I first showed an interest in orchids he went to a GH near his work & the closest thing to an orchid they had was an orchid cactus! :rollhappy: Well after all it did have orchid in it's name! A good dose of systemic granules took care of the healthy scale population![/QUOTE]

Rose, hang on to that man. :cool:He is a real jewel.

Marilyn

Are "Bankhaus" and "The Queen" the same? Not from my experience. I have bloomed 2 separate plants that were labeled "The Queen'...and both were large, hefty blooms...not exactly the same...petal stance was slightly different in each, but not outside of the range of what could be expected in 2 different bloomings from the same clone. Both pictures should be somewhere in the archives here. Its been years since "Bankhaus' passed on, but I recall it as being far more similar to "Magnificum"....foliage as well as bloom. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back