Dendrobium senile 'Mary Ann'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I usually post pictures of my orchids only, but recently one of our orchid club members (actually the new club president) Tom Daily sent me a picture of one of his Dendrobiums. He grows most of his plants down in his basement, in a plant stand made of pvc piping, covered with plastic with a humidifier inside and high output lighting on top of the stand. Ones with high light needs he puts up close to the lights and the smaller pleuros and things like that he puts on a shelf down below. He dunks most of his plants, and most of them grow very well for him. The den. senile he has flowered very well a number of times, and the first time I saw the plant in flower he had placed it in our orchid club display but didn't register it, for sort of political reasons dealing with the aos and awards, having to pay so much for having a plant awarded etc. The judges were dismayed as they would have given the plant an award but were unable to if I remember rightly. He does very well with many miniatures. Some of his success may be due to the fact that he has lately been finding and schmoozing with many of the literati when it comes to these types of orchids! well at least email schmoozing...

I have a dendrobium senile that someone else gave me that wasn't doing that well for them, and it looks nothing like Tom's! It also hasn't flowered yet but being a dendrobium the fact that it is still alive is promising (or surprising take your pick)

Den.senile3.15.09.jpg

Tom told me that the plant had 18 flowers plus two more buds. I like yellow orchids very much and hope that mine will flower some day.

Fantastic specimen of this species! I hope one day I might be lucky enough to have mine flower like that!

Dan

The ability to disseminate and obtain intimate knowledge of culture for different plants is a benefit of society meetings and forums such as this.
He does very well with many miniatures. Some of his success may be due to the fact that he has lately been finding and schmoozing with many of the literati when it comes to these types of orchids! well at least email schmoozing...

I looked at the culture sheet I have for this species from the baker's website, and they stress quite high light when possible and a definite cool dry rest in the winter for flowering. Tom puts his plant quite high near the lights so I think that is very important for really good flowering. His basement doesn't get as cool as the culture sheet suggests the environment gets, but with the ultrasonic misting going on I'm sure that cools it down some

Very nice flower! But I have to say, if I were Mary Ann, I'd object to someone naming a clone of the species "senile" after me! :wink:

from the sheet:

LIGHT: 2000-3500 fc. Cultivated plants need about 50% shading in summer.
Light should be as high as possible without stressing the plant. In the
habitat, the heavy cloud cover associated with the summer monsoon causes
light to be relatively low. Very strong air movement is required
throughout the year.

TEMPERATURES: Summer days average 82-84F (28-29C), and nights average 67F
(19C), with a 15-17F (8-10C) diurnal range. In the habitat, the warmest
temperatures occur in early spring. Days average 86-90F (30-32C), and
nights are 58-66F (14-19C), with a diurnal range of 20-29F (11-16C).

HUMIDITY: 75-80% from late spring through autumn, dropping to about 60%
for 4 months in winter and early spring.

WATER: Rainfall is moderate to heavy from late spring through summer, but
conditions are quite dry in winter. Cultivated plants should be watered
often while actively growing with only sight drying allowed between
waterings. Water should be gradually reduced after new growths mature in
autumn.

FERTILIZER: 1/4-1/2 recommended strength, applied weekly. A high-nitrogen
fertilizer is beneficial from spring to midsummer, but a fertilizer high
in phosphates should be used in late summer and autumn.

REST PERIOD: Winter days average 77-82F (25-28C), and nights average
45-51F (7-10C), with a diurnal range of 28-33F (16-18C). The record low is
below freezing in the habitat, but extremes should be avoided in
cultivation. Rainfall is low for 3-5 months in winter, but additional
moisture is available from heavy dew, fog, and mist during most of the
season. Cultivated plants should be allowed to dry out between waterings,
but they should not remain completely dry for extended periods. Occasional
early morning mistings between waterings may help keep the plants from
becoming too dry. Fertilizer should be eliminated until water is increased
in spring. In the habitat, light is highest in winter.

GROWING MEDIA: Plants may be mounted on tree-fern or cork slabs if
humidity is high and plants are watered at least once daily in summer.
When plants are potted, any open, fast draining medium may be used. Clay
pots are recommended so that plants may dry more easily between waterings.
They may be repotted anytime new roots are growing.

Copyright 2005, Charles O. Baker and Margaret L. Baker
Sheet version 239253738

Orchid Culture & Pollination site http://www.orchidculture.com

We also offer a series of books on orchid culture. Please visit the book
page on our web site:
http://www.orchidculture.com/COD/books.html

84 pt CCM/AOS at the GROS show last weekend!

Just wanted to let everyone know that one of our club members twisted Tom's arm to have his plant registered at the Genesee Region Orchid Society show last weekend, and the judges rewarded him by giving his wonderful plant an 84 point CCM/AOS! :clap::clap: I heard the plant had around 20 flowers open for judging. I'm going to see if I can get a copy of the AOS awards photo and I'll post it here. I'm sure Tom is very happy about the award, except that now he'll have to pony up $40 to pay for the award... :sob: ;) That was part of the reason why he didn't really want to enter plants for awards as he has a small problem with the large fee to get an awards certificate. I think it should be the other way around... get a ccm, get some cash or at least a gift certificate to olive garden or a big bottle of champagne :D

Latest posts

Back