Dendo and Phal

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I grow just few other orchids beside my Paphs - but to be honest - I would grow more if I could. Unfortunately my space is limited and so I had to choose just few. Sometimes when I see beautiful orchids I'm uncertain whether my choice was right or wrong.
Anyway, I like these two guys very much.
Dendrobium lindleyi (aggregatum) is a reliable springtime bloomer.

dendro_lindleyi

dendro_lindleyi_1

Phalaenopsis bellina (violacea 'Borneo')

Phalaenopsis_bellina

This is a first time bloomer and I like it's flower shape and of course it's colouration.
Growing them in pure hydroculture is easy and saves plenty of time for me - no repotting and watering just every fortnight. The perfect method for lazy bones. :rollhappy:
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

I'd like to know more about your pure hydroculture method. Is this an ebb and flow hydroponics system?

No it isn't flood and drain or ebb and flow. I maintain a certain water level permanently. Only species which need a hard rest e.g Dendrobium lindleyi, all Catasetum species are kept completely dry during their resting period. That means in case of this Dendo I stop watering in mid of October and when the water reservoir is empty I put it on a windowsill in an unheated room in early/mid of November. I keep it their until mid of March and then fill in water/nutrient solution again and grow it under normal conditions.
My potting medium is Styrofoam ca. 2 mm thick and cut in thin stripes - it looks similar to wood-wool. This material is complete inert, no rotting, no decaying, no porosity. I put a thin layer of pebbles on top of this 'potting medium' to avoid it from floating up.
Perhaps one advantage of my cultivation is the fact that all pots stand on the floor in a house with floor heating in all rooms. Therefore the temperature of the roots' surrounding liquid is certainly higher than on a window sill.
Although I keep my Rossioglossum grande outside in autumn until the temperature is dropping down nearly to 0° C and so far with no damage at the completely in water immersed roots.

Love the bellina. :drool: It has been on my want list for some time but will probably not add it to the collection until I go back to Texas and have more room.

Please post pictures of your growing method.

Thanx for the info. You should post some photos.

Your wish is my command - here they are.

cut Styrofoam as 'potting medium' and pebbles for cover ( beside increasing the weight they prevent also growing of algae on the surface of the Styrofoam)

hydroculture_1

a group growing completely in hydroculture - from left to right Chysis bractescens, Catasetum fimbriatum and C. pileatum, various Phalaenopsis and Dendobium lindleyi.
You can be assured that my wife isn't amused about all these pots on the floor in front of most of our windows!! :(

hydroculture_2

the surface of the 'potting medium' in a close up and if you look closely you can see the water-level meter showing a level near to max

hydroculture_3

my Rossioglossum grande in hydroculture standing on a windowsill in the open already since early May. It is growing two new sprouts in 2008.

hydroculture_4

This photo was taken in 2005 already and it shows a root of Chysis bractescens in hydroculture. You can see a drop of 'nutrient solution' hanging at the tip of the root

Chysis bractescens_roots

Regarding fertilizing - I keep the EC of the 'nutrient solution' in a range between 600 and 800 µS

Very unusual view: orchids growing in pebbles :):); but all the plants do look very healthy. Maybe I should have a try!! Jean

Latest posts

Back