Deflasked Paph. malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

orchideya

Did anybody else get malipoense flask from Sam?
Here is mine:

malipoense_flask.jpg

malipoense_flask3.jpg

paph_malipoense_seedlings.jpg

Any advice on how to get them going? Thanks!

Any advice on how to get them going?

I recently deflasked malipoense. (not from Sam) They have been the fastest growing paph seedlings so far. They have doubled in size in 3 months! I keep them very warm 20-28 degrees C. fan 24/7, sprayed with boiled rain water 2 or 3 times per day and fed with 75/25 nitrate/ammonium mix at about 30 to 40ppm N with plain water only every 4th irrigation.
Potassium is about 1/2 of the N and P is very low.
I have sprinkled dolomite very lightly once so far.

Your mix looks quite wet compared to mine though so maybe you don't need to water feed as much. To give you an idea, my compot is ready for watering every second day and completely dry in 3 to 4 days.

ha i have been planning to order one of these flasks. do they need high humidity? how would they compare to growing multiflorals from flask?

I recently deflasked malipoense. (not from Sam) They have been the fastest growing paph seedlings so far. They have doubled in size in 3 months! I keep them very warm 20-28 degrees C. fan 24/7, sprayed with boiled rain water 2 or 3 times per day and fed with 75/25 nitrate/ammonium mix at about 30 to 40ppm N with plain water only every 4th irrigation.
Potassium is about 1/2 of the N and P is very low.
I have sprinkled dolomite very lightly once so far.

Your mix looks quite wet compared to mine though so maybe you don't need to water feed as much. To give you an idea, my compot is ready for watering every second day and completely dry in 3 to 4 days.

Thank you for the info!
Bark is wet on the picture because I just potted them up.
They will be in the orchid tank with 20C - 22C and around 65% humidity. I have Paph. Carolyn Butcher deflasklings there since April and they grow fast too but need watering about once per week. They grow in the same square tray. I figured that new malipoense babies should be ok in the same conditions.
When you say sprayed, you mean the potting medium, not the actual plants, right?

Thank you for the info!
They will be in the orchid tank with 20C - 22C and around 65% humidity. I have Paph. Carolyn Butcher deflasklings there since April and they grow fast too but need watering about once per week. They grow in the same square tray. I figured that new malipoense babies should be ok in the same conditions.
When you say sprayed, you mean the potting medium, not the actual plants, right?

are they similar to deflasking multifloral paphs? or more difficult?

ha i have been planning to order one of these flasks. do they need high humidity? how would they compare to growing multiflorals from flask?

I have sanderianum and Paul Parks seedlings growing together with Carolyn Butcher and Harold Koopowitz. I noticed that growth rate of CB and HK is much much better, they have a lot more fat roots and require more often watering than PP and sandie.
Also during deflasking parvi roots were more sturdy and flexible than those of PP and sanderianum.

are they similar to deflasking multifloral paphs? or more difficult?

Based on my limited experience( hangianum, Carolyn Butcher, malipoense vs. stonei, sanderianum, Paul _Parks) I would say much easier.

Thank you for the info!

No I mean the plants but they dry out within minutes. You might not need to.

The stems look pretty elongated. If that happens to multiflorals (f.ex. roth), much more (up to 50%) will die after taking them out of the flask.That is my experience.

The stems look pretty elongated. If that happens to multiflorals (f.ex. roth), much more (up to 50%) will die after taking them out of the flask.That is my experience.

I just pot them deeper in the mix usually...

i just ordered my malipoense flask (and a lowii flask) as a pre-order for the Columbus MAOC in November!

Latest posts

Back