Cyp Gisela

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! Do you have a full plant pic? What are the measurements of the plant and flower?

Nice! Do you have a full plant pic? What are the measurements of the plant and flower?

There's not much point in taking a full plant pic, because the flower is gone. However, the flower is 2.5" across and the plant is a foot tall. I have older Giselas that have larger flowers, close to a mature pubescens in size.

That's okay about the pics - I just wanted to specs anyway. I was wondering about the size, because mine is very small in comparison. I didn't measure it (I'll have to remember next year), but it is no where near a foot tall, and the flowers are a bit smaller. I thought it might be culture that is keeping it small, but there is variation in height in the parents, so I guess mine's okay. Do you have a Aki for comparison? What are the measurements on that one?

It's sad that the flowers are so short-lived.

Speaking of short-lived, my emil is just fading...But this was after the soil got drier. Maybe I let it dry too much
How long do they usually last? (I think Mark mentioned his Emil was in bloom for 2 weeks)

Speaking of short-lived, my emil is just fading...But this was after the soil got drier. Maybe I let it dry too much
How long do they usually last? (I think Mark mentioned his Emil was in bloom for 2 weeks)

They last for about 2 weeks in the garden, but often my Cyps don't last as long inside.

That's okay about the pics - I just wanted to specs anyway. I was wondering about the size, because mine is very small in comparison. I didn't measure it (I'll have to remember next year), but it is no where near a foot tall, and the flowers are a bit smaller. I thought it might be culture that is keeping it small, but there is variation in height in the parents, so I guess mine's okay. Do you have a Aki for comparison? What are the measurements on that one?

It's sad that the flowers are so short-lived.

I have an Aki Pastel but I don't have any specs on it. However, I believe Aki flowers are larger than pubescens, and definitely larger than Gisela, on larger plants.

If your Gisela is a first bloomer that would explain the smallness. Sometimes Cyps can take a year or two to establish before they start getting bigger too, but I doubt a hybrid would do that.

Mine's 5 years old. Actually older, but I got it as a single blooming stem 5 years ago.

Latest posts

Back