Cyp and native orchid trip in NY.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
Charles U. was kind enough to connect me w/ a wild flower enthusiast in upstate NY. These are the photos, mostly Cyps but other stuff also. I will try to post more later
P5240026.jpg

P5240027.jpg

P5240056.jpg

P5240051.jpg

P5240037.jpg

P5240024.jpg

P5240055.jpg

P5240013.jpg

P5240010.jpg

Are these "slippers" difficult to cultivate or what is the reason that we do not see them in collections (green houses)?

groovy!
what's the name of the plant in the third photo from the bottom in the first set?

Faan, see Hakone and others' cyp posts. They require special calceous soil, fairly moist conditions and winter vernalization.
Likespaphs, they're Isotrias, see the May 2009 Orchids magazine also.

nice pictures (especially of the heartleaf twayblade which is tiny). I see you went to chenango valley state park! It worked well for you that nobody else made the trip.

faan, greenhouses would probably be too warm for the yellow ladyslippers. if someone grows them 'indoors' they probably have them in the refrigerator over the winter and then put them under lights or maybe a cool greenhouse. if it gets too warm the flowers die back very quickly

nice pictures (especially of the heartleaf twayblade which is tiny). I see you went to chenango valley state park! It worked well for you that nobody else made the trip.
Charles, there was one type of orchid I took 5 photos of but none came out as they were too small and my camera kept focussing on the sphag. behind them! :( I cant imagine a group of people making that trip as even Ken was smashed by the heat and humidity and hopping between hummocks! Good thing I'm in olympic athlete shape. :p

Charles, there was one type of orchid I took 5 photos of but none came out as they were too small and my camera kept focussing on the sphag. behind them! :( I cant imagine a group of people making that trip as even Ken was smashed by the heat and humidity and hopping between hummocks! Good thing I'm in olympic athlete shape. :p

that must have been the early coralroot. since it's greenish-yellow it's very hard even on a good day to get a good closeup picture that looks clean and sharp. yes, ken has asthma so even on level ground he can get winded. he also has his ankles fused, and for one trip up into the adirondacks he made a few trips to his doctor to get cortisone shots so that he could walk up and down the trail to the orchids! it definitely can get humid at labrador hollow and other bogs, and just a little heat can make it almost oppressive. didn't think it would get that warm

Beautiful! My mom used to have lady slippers in the wild flower garden in our back yard, when I was a child. I looked into buying her one to have where she is now, but they're pretty pricey. I don't mind spending a lot on an orchid that I can control, but outside in upstate NY- I worry about the harsh winters, chipmunks, moles, etc. Your photos were a real treat! Thank you!:)

Wow! That's an awesome photo! These can be very hard to see in some areas - good to see you found a large colony.

Back