Cymbidium goeringii show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank's!!!

Thank you very very much Tom. I think i had make it right because they are flowering very well... i will post it soon. :wink:

Love the pictures, Tom! Can you please tell me what kind of pumice the Japanese growers use. Is it a mixture of Akadama + Huga? Kanuma + Akadama? All 3?? Do you know?

Also, when they are grown in pure Japanese pumice, how often do they water in the summer if, say, RH is about 60 - 70%?

I have all mine in Kanuma but guess I'm not really sure when to water.

How often should they be fertilized if grown in the Japanese pumice?

Help! Thanks:D

Eric,

Sounds like they are still a bit too exposed. I'd give them more protection next winter - a minigreenhouse or the like.

Love the pictures, Tom! Can you please tell me what kind of pumice the Japanese growers use. Is it a mixture of Akadama + Huga? Kanuma + Akadama? All 3?? Do you know?

Tracy,

You know, I'm not sure the blend I use since I get it already mixed. I wouldn't use akadama because it is too water retentive. Any baked clay or small pumice will do. I grow the normal green forms in pure kanuma and they do great, but they are pretty easy.

Also, when they are grown in pure Japanese pumice, how often do they water in the summer if, say, RH is about 60 - 70%? I have all mine in Kanuma but guess I'm not really sure when to water.

Hmm, every few days? Mine grow outside and during high heat (30 C+) I water every other day or so. During the growth cycle they should remain evenly moist, but the media should have sharp drainage.

How often should they be fertilized if grown in the Japanese pumice?

I fertilize once they finish flowering with a low N-P-K with micronutrients every couple weeks or so at full recommended strength. Some folks use organic pelletized fertilizer - also low N-P-K. Fish emulsion would be fine too. Come mid August I stop all fertilizer. If you give them too much loving at the end of the year they won't set buds, they'll just keep growing and growing. The easier green varieties are not so picky though.

Help! Thanks:D

Yer welcome.

Latest posts

Back