Cymbidium goeringii in Japan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Cymbidium goeringii is in flower again here in my home town in southern Japan. This video should give you a taste of what its like to hike the local hillsides and see this neat little species in its native habitat.

Cymbidium goeringii Hunt

GoeringiiHunt.jpeg

Very nice Tom. I'm still finding this species difficult. I only have one. If you make it to any shows displaying the other colours, I would love to see!

Mike

Very nice, Tom! I enjoyed it. It looks like a pretty healthy population, and I hope that it will stay in that way. The ones on the fallen oak look like a little dwarf, or do they just grow more compact in sunny area?

I enjoy seeing the native habitat of any of the Oriental
Cyms. I rarely find this one for sale in this form. I'm
glad you're keeping up with the health of the colonies.
Thank you.

Very nice Tom. I'm still finding this species difficult. I only have one. If you make it to any shows displaying the other colours, I would love to see!

Mike

These are generally very easy growing like wild fire and blooming like crazy on the spring.
Yours might be either a particularly difficult variety or virused?

I'm very happy you all liked it. I'm trying to do more orchid videos these days, especially the local natives. I hope to have a couple more out by summer.

Mike

Mike, in the Grand Prix video there are quite a few to see sprinkled around. I didn't make it to a show dedicated to these this year unfortunately. I'm not surprised you aren't having much luck since this species needs a colder winter than most of Australia can effectively provide. I've heard that even if grown well (and you are a great grower), they won't flower well.

Very nice, Tom! I enjoyed it. It looks like a pretty healthy population, and I hope that it will stay in that way. The ones on the fallen oak look like a little dwarf, or do they just grow more compact in sunny area?

Good eye! Yes, the added sunshine definitely has made them more compact. I've seen ones in gardens in full sun and they are really compact and the leaves almost yellow, but they flower like crazy.

I enjoy seeing the native habitat of any of the Oriental
Cyms. I rarely find this one for sale in this form. I'm
glad you're keeping up with the health of the colonies.
Thank you.

Hey Angela, if I can manage one day, I hope to have time to get to colonies of C. kanran and C. dayanum one day. I believe that Plant Delights had the normal green flowered ones for several years, but they may have stopped selling them.

These are generally very easy growing like wild fire and blooming like crazy on the spring.
Yours might be either a particularly difficult variety or virused?

HP, I think it is because of the climate. Australia does not seem the best place to grow and flower these. The colored flower forms are not easy plants IMO (don't ask how many I killed), either to grow or flower properly. They have very sensitive roots that must be kept absolutely clean and healthy.

I'm looking forward to your forays into other Cym. areas.
It would be very reassuring to know that there are havens
were they can grow undisturbed.

I used to buy sinense and ensifolium from Maisie Orchids,
but they seem to have disappeared.

Spectacular video, Tom!

About 20 years ago, I imported about 500 "Chinese cymbidiums" a month from a nursery in Taiwan. Mostly sinense, ensifolium, and kanran, but some goeringii, as well. There they grew them under 50% shade cloth in a mix of about 50/50 tree fern chunks and pumice rocks, and fed them with fermented milk.

I found that they did quite well in semi-hydroponic culture, but also had issues with the winters being too warm in the greenhouse for the goeringii plants. They grew, but not nearly as well as the others.

I finally sat down and watched the video.
Thank you for posting!
You are lucky to live close to them.
They are now very rare in Korea due to over collection like other local orchids.

I wish I had a cool room to grow them.

About 20 years ago, I imported about 500 "Chinese cymbidiums" a month from a nursery in Taiwan. Mostly sinense, ensifolium, and kanran, but some goeringii, ...

I found that they did quite well in semi-hydroponic culture, but also had issues with the winters being too warm in the greenhouse for the goeringii plants. They grew, but not nearly as well as the others.

So you had success with s/h for all these cymbidiums? I may want to report the ones I have.

I'd like to see the ones you grow Naoki. Can you post
some photos when you have the time? I'd love to grow
them again, but it's just too warm in my greenhouse for
even ensifolium. I notice in the video that the plants had
a steady, cool breeze that would be rather hard to duplicate here in KY.

I'd like to see the ones you grow Naoki. Can you post
some photos when you have the time? I'd love to grow
them again, but it's just too warm in my greenhouse for
even ensifolium. I notice in the video that the plants had
a steady, cool breeze that would be rather hard to duplicate here in KY.

Me? I have 4 Japanese books dedicated to this species, but unfortunately, I don't have any C. goeringii. But I should get one!

A wonderful species! In terms of flower colors, the orange one is my favorite.
I always enjoy your videos....Thanks.

Latest posts

Back