Crossing Similar Types. Is this a good thing or a big no no

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossing similar varieties or species is:

• A good thing

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • A bad thing

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 21 67.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Drorchid

Hey admins I want to make this into a poll, how do I do it?

The poll should be:

Crossing similar varieties or species is:

1 A good thing
2 A bad thing
3 Depends on the situation

There's a box at the bottom of the page (when you are adding a new thread) that you can click on to create a poll. I had to look it up though, as I've not used the function before either;>

Unfortunately, I'm very suspicious of the flowers in the photo shown by Fabrice. It seems very likely that two different "types" of P. lowii were crossed to produce those two different flowers. ...... and thereby, continuing the chaos.

This issue of "sib-selfing of similar types" really needs some attention, don't you think?

I have noticed that we have a divide under our slippertalk members. Some people (including myself) think it is a good thing to cross 2 different varieties or forms of the same species, like Paph. bellatulum with Paph. bellatulum album or Paph. godefroyae with Paph. godefroyae var leuchochilum or 2 plants that are considered by some to be different species but look alike, like crossing Phrag. fischeri and Phrag. schlimii, or Paph. lowii with Paph. richardianum. Other people, including Lance Birk, who has made some very valid points thinks this is a big no no and should never be done, just because it causes too much confusion when different populations get mixed up, and over time (due to bad record keeping, or loss of labels) you can't tell if it is a true species, or a man made hybrid.

I think Lance (and others who agree with him) have some very valid points, and we should be concerned about this. However myself as a breeder, and a horticulturist do see the advantages of crossing different varieties or species that look similar together.

My reasons are the following:

1. To me the "species" concept is a man made concept. We like to put labels on things, so we can describe them better, but in my opinion species are "fluid". In nature it is sometimes hard to say where one species starts and the next begins. You always have gene flow going from one population to the next. This is one reason how new species come to being. It is natures way of creating diversity, through selection the strongest and most adapt will survive. So if this happens in nature, what is wrong if we humans do it too?

2. Sometimes if it is a rare form or a rare variety of a species, say an album form. Only one plant was ever known. An example of that would be Phrag. besseae flavum. Over time people have selfed it to create more plants. If people keep selfing or sibbing the offspring, you create inbreeding depression, and the plants will get weaker and weaker, and eventually you will end up with very sickly plants. I do not see anything wrong with crossing one of these types with a different colored form to create some vigor, or increase the size of the flowers. The next generation will be mixed (usually look like the dominant parent), but if you sib some of these some will turn out looking like the flavum or albino parent.

3. I am propagating plants to be sold to hobby growers, and not in the intent on replanting them in the natural habitat. I can see that would be a problem, if you say cross a leuchochilum with a regular godefroyae, and then replant the offspring in an area were leuchochilums grow native. As I am growing them for the hobby grower I am trying to create a plant that has more vigor, and I am also trying to create some variation, so I can select for different traits, like darker flower color, larger flowers, disease resistance etc. By crossing different populations I create more variation, and thus I can select for these traits.

Now I do think it is very important to keep records, so if for some reason a plant gets described as a different species or a different variety, you can change your labels. As an example when besseae's first came out, they may not have realized they also has dalesandroi in their collection, so when they were crossing the 2 plants they assumed they were both besseae, and assumed the offspring were all besseae, while infact they had just made the hybrid Phrag. Jersey. This can lead to a mess when records are not kept correctly, and I can see Lance's point of view that this can lead to a total disaster.

Now I want other peoples thoughts (both pros and cons) on this, and what can be done to not create chaos as Lance said.

Robert

My feeling is that breeding closely related species with each other is fine, as long as the result is considered a hybrid and registered as such.

Varieties of the same species have been hybridized quite a bit over time and named as the root species; when taxonomy in the future splits these into seperate species, it creates confusion in the naming of the resulting progeny.
As you know this has already occurred many times over the past hundred + years or so.

Keeping the populations "pure" is important in a horticultural sense and selective breeding for these plants keeps the morphological identity alive.

Outcrosses of the same species such as the lowii you have presented will give a variation in the results and some might be better than either parent. Whether this is good or bad depends on your philosophy.........

The question does not have an easy answer.

On the for: increased vigor, the ability to combine favorable traits. Sometime a charming hybrid form of the species is the result. Often get very saleable pot plants.

On the Contra:
Many species afficiandos - including myself - I know for a fact that no matter how careful you are to keep plants of hybrid origin LABELLED as plants of hybrid origin. Once you sell a few dozen, sure enough there will be plants of your cross showing up here or there with no tags or with incorrect tags. In of itself - no problem.

But here is the kicker. A few years pass, and these unlabelled or mislabelled plants end up in the hands of a well intentioned species afficianado - and low and behold - it ends up being re-labelled as an example of the 'pure' species type, or worse yet, end up being described as a 'new' species. With the cochlopetalum Paphs, there are green-yellow with lighter yellow pouch line bred Paph Pinocchio being sold at ridiculous prices as glaucpphylum var album or victoria-regina album. I made Paph Salvado Dali (liemianum x chamberlainianum) about 10 years ago. I sold many seedlings over the years. I swear I am seeing them now on the sales tables and in shows and only one or 2 have the right name on them. Most are being shown and sold as one species or another.

You can't buy a 'pure' Paph godefroyae in the USA, almost all are to some degree hybrids with varying amounts of leucochilum in their ancestry.

I myself deliberately avoided crossing Phrag wallisii with warscewiczianum or caudatum in order to avoid having seedlings around that would end up in the trade incorrectly labelled down the road. Now when I go to buy a compact growing caudatum type originating from Guatemala or Panama, I no longer trust any source that has not collected their own (I know Jerry has collected a few - hopefully they have survived the years) and I no longer know what name to use with who to get the plant I want. (Sorry Sandy & Guido, while I agree, your name changes haven't caught uniformly).

So the above are my reasons that I often refrain from crossing 2 very similar species or varieties of the same species.

Lets face it Robert - I am sure you have seen your share of mislabelled & no labelled plants, and no matter how careful you are, odds are some (hopefully few) plants of every cross you make and sell will end up on the market without or with incorrect labels.

Just a fact of the business.
So that is why I and a many others cringe at the thought of crossing 2 similar varieties - its not that we don't like them - they are cute and wonderful as long as they stay labelled correctly. We even recognize they may be good sellers, better than the straight species, on the sales tables.

Cheers - Leo

Some plants that were likely of Horticultural origin that have been described as species:

Paph x Jogjae,
Paph x Yappianum - both (praestans x a cochlopetalum)
Phrag brasiliensis ??? and several earlier redescriptions of Phrag Pattie McHale
Paph dixlerianum
there are several examples in Cattleya.

there are many many more - The scientific community needs to reject species descriptions from collections of material where the collection location is unkown, and a vague - Indonesia, Burma or central Brazil is not good enough. Photos of the type specimen in situ need to be required for all new plant descriptions. (okay there is a reason they won't let me be in charge)
Leo

I am not a scientist or a hybridizer, nor do I have anywhere near the knowledge of orchids that so many on this forum have. I can only express my frustration when I have a mis-labelled plant. Leo points out what Robert said about the confusion between dalessandro & besseae. There is so much disagreement about the caudatum and the cochleopetalum groups among the folks who have a say in what they will be called: species, sub-species, etc., as well as their names, I don't know if it can ever be straightened out.

I don't know the answer to your question, Robert -- other than to follow your own conscience.

I agree completely with Robert (drorchid) on this one, including his recognition of the valid concerns of the Lance and Leo and others, but I have this to add...

Unless you can maintain a large population of wild collected plants, not just of a species but of a specific population, with careful documentation of origin and correct labeling in perpetuity, you can't meaningfully preserve a species in captivity. If you do any breeding even within this well defined group, by the time you are 2 generations removed from wild-collected plants you have inevitably selected for traits that have nothing to do with surviving in the wild. And unless you have large populations including progeny of most of those wild collected plants you have significantly decreased the genetic variation as well.

This is not to say there is no value in maintaining known wild collected plants or keeping species pure, just don't delude yourself that you are preserving the wild species. The captive population continues to evolve in its new environment (your greenhouse) and in a very short time may no longer be adapted to the original environment, and much biodiversity is lost. Any thought of repopulating the wild with such plants could be just as artificial and potentially disastrous as if they were hybrids.

I wanted to vote for 2. #1, a bad thing, as has been discussed, the seedlings are sold off and confusion reigns as with the problems in identifying clones of P.philippinense and the cross of P.lowii and haynaldianum = Toni Semple. I have seen dozens of so called P.lowii and I would say that the majority of them are P. Toni Semple and the lengthy discussions held over what variety of philippinense is it. As mentioned also, the regular selfing causes difficulties with the progeny eventually in growth and flowering.
#2. Depends on situation, if a breeder wants to produce similar looking plants to the parents where the hybrid vigor occurs then what I wrote in #1 doesn't matter BUT the plants should be clearly labelled as such so hopefully the grower will retain the proper labelling. This of course is pure fantasy with the labelling as we have all seen, the label can be changed to suit the needs.

:evil:

LUMP them all, I say!

Paph philippinense... forget trying to differentiate the 'varities' now after all the in-breeding... so just have to remember Paph philippinense.. eezy, breezy, beautiful!

I agree completely with Robert (drorchid) on this one, including his recognition of the valid concerns of the Lance and Leo and others, but I have this to add...

Unless you can maintain a large population of wild collected plants, not just of a species but of a specific population, with careful documentation of origin and correct labeling in perpetuity, you can't meaningfully preserve a species in captivity. If you do any breeding even within this well defined group, by the time you are 2 generations removed from wild-collected plants you have inevitably selected for traits that have nothing to do with surviving in the wild. And unless you have large populations including progeny of most of those wild collected plants you have significantly decreased the genetic variation as well.

This is not to say there is no value in maintaining known wild collected plants or keeping species pure, just don't delude yourself that you are preserving the wild species. The captive population continues to evolve in its new environment (your greenhouse) and in a very short time may no longer be adapted to the original environment, and much biodiversity is lost. Any thought of repopulating the wild with such plants could be just as artificial and potentially disastrous as if they were hybrids.

This is exactly what I could not figure out how to say. A perfect explanation.
Artificially propagated species should never be introduced into wild populations unless they are divisions of wild collected plants. So breeding plants that are hardier under cultivation seems to be a responsible way to keep orchids around longer.

Depends on the situation ...... I would avoid X breeding similar types, to try to avoid confusion until there's a more definitive classification but hell could freeze over by then, so I could understand someone making the X's.

That and someone is going to make the crosses eventually and have the ablility to name them. If not you, why not me?

I am growing orchids as an amateur since 20 years now, and I will try to formulate my answer from this point of view:

When buying my plants, I was and am dependent on the professional grower, I have to rely on him and his knowledge conc. genera, species and var., forms, and finally hybrids. I bought quite a Number of plants that where not labelled (my problem, I should not have taken that plant!) or miss-labelled (wrong species-name or just 'Paph hybrid') from very different vendors.

On the other hand, species of many genera have been sub-divided into so many var. / forms that I have my doubts about any validation possible for the amateur within this specie, labelled or unlabelled ( ex. Laelia purpurata (lovely book from Lou Menezes available) with all its var., and above all, the today purchasable plants labelled 'alba x semi-alba', 'carnea x semi-alba', 'Rosa cereja x carnea' .... )

I agree with Lance when he talks about excisting chaos, and I agree with Leo for the evidence about unlabelled-mislabelled / re-labelled plants and resulting problems!

But, as an amateur, what really interests me most today ( not so in the past ) is that the plant be healthy when I buy it, and that the flower of the specie / hybrid is interesting for me ( = pleases me). I try today to limit myself buying the plants that I really want (when pricely accessible); therefore I have no real problem with N. 1.

Jean

Roy and Dot and several others have already covered everything I was going to bring up - besseae/dalessandroi, philippinense, the caudatum mess....those are three great examples of why I wanted to say no, but besseae flavum and the vigor issue, having killed my fair share of them, led me to decide it depends....

Great poll, Robert.

On the whole I agree with Robert and with PaphMadMan who raises a very important point. As a hobbyist, I find myself a bit confused by this, as I see good points on both sides. There are a number of what I would for the purpose of this discussion call "species analogs", in which a primary is crossed back to one of the parents and looks very much like the species ... but presumably has more vigour. These could be the worst cases for confusion and unscrupulous vendors could actually sell as the species. But ... but, ... I must confess that I would like a P. hookerae analog that grows a bit faster than it does in my hands. So my fantasy hybrid would be something like (hookerae x bullenianum v celebesense) x hookerae ... assuming of course, this was possible !. On the other hand I have plants of P.bullenianum bought as amabile, tortipetalum, celebesense and ceramesis ... the plants look very different to me, but all are growing fast and appear to be vigorous ... so where is the need to cross them?
I don't believe that the mess will be resolvable but at least we are discussing this here. As a hobbyist who likes both species and hybrids, I wouldn't be happy to buy a mislabelled plant.

tim

Latest posts

Back