Complex Paph hybrids / bulldog Paphs... why?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if this is on or off topic, but I noticed this on my Howeara while photographing it. Kind of intrigued my wife.

Attachments

• Howeara-close.jpg
    Howeara-close.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 50
Some of you may have noticed that I mostly grow paph species. I can sum up pretty quickly the reasons why: I love the natural diversity of species, the beauty of the different types and forms, I like the idea of conserving plants that are rare (or worse) in the wild, and I am intrigued at a scientific level about the adaptive and evolutionary issues related to Paph species.

I also find primary hybrids interesting (though to a lesser degree)... there's such a wide range of flower shapes and colors that become possible. That's interesting.

But I can't seem to get interested in Paph complex hybrids. I'm talking about the bulldog types... big, round, flat flowers in one of a few different colors. It's not that I hate them or anything... they just don't grab me.

I can understand why people would want to breed them; there's a creative, artistic process in having a vision and trying to create it with a set of tools (stud plants, in this case). That must be fun... especially if you get awards, or loads of money for selling them.

But what do you get out of growing them? Is it just that they're "Pretty flowers", or is there something more to it that I'm missing? I hate to dismiss the whole genre... there are so many people that love them and grow them that they must be getting something out of it.

What is it? Please don't leave me in the dark.

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

I don't know how old this tread is but as a breeder of Complex Paphiopedilums I would like to answer your Quarry as to why grow them.
They offer such a diversity of color and I do love color in flowers. The crosses are made and the seed sown, at each stage in their development I revel in my craft as a grower. Going to the greenhouse and seeing a crop of complex seedling growing well on the bench has taken years of learning from some of the best growers, and I continue to learn. During the month of September as the new buds begin to appear heightens expectation for the bloom season when new, never before seen flowers begin to show color. I guess you can tell I love Complex Paphs. Brown is not my favorite color so, I do not grow a lot of mutiflorals, yet I do have some. White flower do not excite me, yet I do have some. Species are a means to an end and I grow lots of them. Complex Paphiopedilums have come a long way and who knows what the future may reveal. Let us not forget that species are also in development as isolated populations produce new developments. Species evolve through natural hybridization, it is the way of nature. They are not stagnant. Species are hybrids. By way of natural selection and isolated populations, we get new species. Which are hybrids!

Theresa Hill
Hillsview Gardens

Understanding and appreciating complex quality is the most complex visual skill in slipper orchids. Complex breeding is the most challenging hybridization in slipper orchids. As Jason said previously since the breeding is so difficult and there is so much genetic variation the good ones are very very few. People will say this is my opinion but .....

wow the years just keep ticking by. I was 23-24 when I started collecting orchids and growing them in an high rise apartment in philadelphia and now I feel the same age with lots more responsibility. Are there any early 20 yo on here?

Interesting topic but in the end it's all about personal taste.

I personally don't like the bulldog type paphs. I can enjoy other types of hybrids there are plenty of maudiae types that I enjoy. I am fully aware of the decades of breeding that go / have gone into creating these flowers but it's just not my cup of tea.

Each to his own I guess.

This has to be the oldest thread I read through so far.
My own opinion is there is beauty in everything. I began growing orchids in the late 1970s and I can still remember the excitement when I saw my first phal, my first catasetum, my first cattleya... There are people making art with junk they find in garbage. We don't have to like everything but every once in a while, i see an art junk thing and I like it. As for orchids, I have my own tastes and I can still appreciate other peoples's taste, most of the time. :)

When I first started growing orchids I bought the old Sunset book of Orchids. I looked at the pictures, and got hooked on slippers. What impressed me most from the book was sukhakulii...the complex paphs didn't impress me at all..too round. However, once I saw my first complex in real life, everything changed...I was hooked. For me, while there are many types of slippers I like more than others, there is no category that I would ever reject...I like them all. Even the cochlo's, which are my least favorite type of paph, still have plenty to please me.

Even though, I only have 5 complexes! I love each and every one of them!

I grow them cause they are different from the rest of my paph collection. Plus I feel like I am owning a little bit of Paph hybridization history.

cool. how long you been collecting? what got you interested?

I've been growing orchids since I was 12. Started with a few common dends from the plant vendor at the weekend market and given by a neighbour. Only saw my first paph (barbatum) at an orchid club sales table later on..

On the subject of complexes, I do find them interesting because they really do look like plastic! :D No other plant bears such large flowers of glossy appearance.. too bad they grow cool.. Someone should make a breeding line for warmth-tolerance.. ;)

I have gone decades without buying a bulldog Paph. I just didn't care for them. But my tastes have changed in recent years and I've picked up a half-dozen or so. They have grown on me. I'm particularly fond of the greens/yellows. So my advice is "never say never".

Latest posts

Back