Cattleya trianaei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know a trianae is well grown when it gives 3 flowers. Nice job there.

Color is good with big petals. The lip is slightly narrow. Is this always the case?

You know a trianae is well grown when it gives 3 flowers. Nice job there.

Color is good with big petals. The lip is slightly narrow. Is this always the case?
Thanks, lip is wider after few days.Have a look at the flower in middle please, could it be virus???

My friend threw his 10 years old skinnerii these days, about 70 percent of flowers were with full of colour beak but others seemed to be healthy.It was cymmv positive.

great blooming. Very possible it could be, based on the color break of the flower and the pattern of black markings on the vegetation. I’d say it’s a good candidate for a virus test.
Pete, I agree. I posted that I thought it needed to be tested based on color break, but in that post I had not seen the foliage spotting. Pretty certain based on my experience. Good call!!

Hein, that’s not my experience. When a virus just starts to show symptoms it can be one or two flowers in a group.
Thanks for clarified, good to know, years ago when I just started collecting orchids, I bought a few dozens of cattleya/laelia divisions, this orchid company actually sent me some virus plants with extreme signs in pseudobulb & leaves (but with no experience/knowledge , I did not suspect anything) , until the flowers blooms , my Gods , terrible color breaks .
I haven't owned one single cattleya nor laelia since .

Istvan, although there are signs of virus in the one flower and the leaf black markings, I would do a virus test just to make sure before throwing away. I have plants with these signs and test negative because the leaf spotting was fungal and the flower color change from environmental. In the meantime, separate from others until test is done.

It has lovely flowers and deserve a definitive viral test to confirm.

I made a painful decision, I gave up with cattleyas.I will keep just few , about 30 plants from favourites after testing them.Cattleya will not come into my collection anymore.

There is another topic in this forum about virus testing, one of our forum member tested his cattleyas at random, 28 percent of randomized tests were positiv!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back