Cattleya trianae semialba flamea ‘Kathleen’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6500K x 2 tunes
10,000K x 2 tubes
Interesting that you can have them 18” above canopy. My tubes are 5,000 k high intensity and I have to have them 24-30” above or I get signs of too much light. Only my high light catts have 3 tubes. Regular catts 2 tubes and Paphs 1. Mine are 60 degree which concentrates the light more but still…

Don’t want to hijack Leslie’s thread but mine bloomed last spring with 10 flowers (after being divided!) and is in spike again. This plant is a blooming, growing beast. Needs to be repotted again!! I got mine from Orchids Ltd, a division of original Rogerson plant. My most expensive (not the $600 he had advertised at one point for a large plant.). But, I say she really earns her keep. You could sell a healthy division of this thing almost every year as it grows leads from all sides practically. Oh, and Leslie, if yours came from Steven Christofferson it likely is an original. He goes way back with his collection. I got a division of a jungle collected C. percivaliana ‘Ondine’ from him this year.

Don’t want to hijack Leslie’s thread but mine bloomed last spring with 10 flowers (after being divided!) and is in spike again. This plant is a blooming, growing beast. Needs to be repotted again!! I got mine from Orchids Ltd, a division of original Rogerson plant. My most expensive (not the $600 he had advertised at one point for a large plant.). But, I say she really earns her keep. You could sell a healthy division of this thing almost every year as it grows leads from all sides practically. Oh, and Leslie, if yours came from Steven Christofferson it likely is an original. He goes way back with his collection. I got a division of a jungle collected C. percivaliana ‘Ondine’ from him this year.
Thanks for your additional info. Congratulations! Growing orchids and get a lot of flowers alway a great pleasure! I like this plant so much and have just won the 2nd position on eBay auction just last week. I was happy with most of the second positions in my life but on eBay, it’s very different…. 😅

Thanks for your additional info. Congratulations! Growing orchids and get a lot of flowers alway a great pleasure! I like this plant so much and have just won the 2nd position on eBay auction just last week. I was happy with most of the second positions in my life but on eBay, it’s very different…. 😅
Some wise person once said, “Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.”

Interesting that you can have them 18” above canopy. My tubes are 5,000 k high intensity and I have to have them 24-30” above or I get signs of too much light. Only my high light catts have 3 tubes. Regular catts 2 tubes and Paphs 1. Mine are 60 degree which concentrates the light more but still…
What lights do you use? 24-30” above the plants? That’s quite far! You must be using very strong lights!

What lights do you use? 24-30” above the plants? That’s quite far! You must be using very strong lights!
They came from Orchids Ltd several years ago and they are no longer selling them as the market changed and they were priced out of the competition they said. Here are the specs. 4’ tubes I use 3 tubes for high light catts, 2 for regular catts and 1 for Paphs. When I got my lights 2017 LEDs were fairly new and the only ones out there were very high intensity for growing pot. I came across an article Jerry Fischer had written and called him. They custom made the fixtures for 1-6 tubes. I got 3 tube fixtures even though Jerry told me I didn’t need but a max of 2. I wanted head and spike room. I love these lights. The manufacturer is Aeon Lighting Technology
www.aeonlighting.com

Attachments

• IMG_6110.jpeg
    IMG_6110.jpeg
    705.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6111.jpeg
    IMG_6111.jpeg
    622 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6261.jpeg
    IMG_6261.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Unless you can buy the exact lights that someone else has used successfully for a while on the exact plants you want to grow, optimally you should purchase a photon flux meter to measure the peak photon flux density in the photosynthetically active range (PAR) under the lights. This lets you be accurate with how high the lights should be above the plants. For example, Cattleya trianae needs to be in the 200-300 range of peak photon micromoles/meter squared/sec with day length in the 11.5 - 12.5 hours to give enough daily light. Each LED light will need a different height depending on its output (the lumens) and the angle with which the light is projected. Deb’s light above has 4800 lumens and a beam angle of 60 degrees. Change the lumens or the beam angle and the correct height over the plants will change. Deb and I use an Apogee 500 series full-spectrum meter. Yes, it costs several hundred dollars, but if it saves you years of trial and error trying to figure out the correct height, gets you earlier blooming, and even saves a few plants it is well worth it.

Latest posts

Back