Quantcast

Cattleya trianae pelorica

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Another of my pelorics just opened. A division from Brazil. Comes from F3 peloric line breeding.

20210222_165215.jpg20210222_165250.jpg20210222_165108.jpg

Flowers are soft and velvety, with contrasting light pink sepals against the dark lavender petals and lips. Reminds me of the Empress of Mercury hybrids from way back. Also love the thin margin along the rip ruffles.

Plant still weak so flowers are not at the size or substance potential yet. Will remove and breed pollen to another trianae.

monocotman

Reaction score
Wow Leslie that is sumptuous! Such depth of colour.
Ive not seen anything like that before.
The third generation breeding really shows what is possible,
David

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks David for the nice comments.

I have not seen peloric breeding like this so it is like the first debut of this F3 breeding lines. This two toned coloration was only previously seen with intermedia aquinii lines. Imagine what palette can be created with a full form parent like this?

monocotman

Reaction score
Leslie,
this post puts me in mind of another (supposedly) line bred cattleya, mossiae ‘willowbrook‘ which I have in bud for the first time at present.
It kind of supports the story that this clone was produced by line breeding for dark colour for several generations and is a pure mossiae, with no lueddemanniana genes.
If at just the F3 generation we can see flowers so far from the ‘norm’ then what could be achieved with 6 or 7 generations and large populations to choose from?
Of course, there could still have been a teeny bit of lueddemanniana blood in at the beginning.
D82EA97C-DD4C-47F1-8E3E-0059D2F1E406.jpeg
David