Cattleya jenmanii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathias

Reaction score
A species from Venezuela that is flowering for me now. It has an amazing fragrance that I cannot get enough of.

Unfortunately the plant has a developing shoot, it did not want to rest completely (or I woke it up). This is a bit problematic at my latitude, as I only have around 6 hours of weak daylight right now. I have therefore placed the plant below two fluorescent tubes (2 x 54W T5). We'll see how this affects next years growth.

5234498924_dd5901a36c_b.jpg

5233907897_534ffe7ab2_b.jpg

2 beauties!!!! Bravo for blooming them!!!! Jean

(in the Chadwick's book, jenmanii blooms in late autumn, after the last labiatas have gone, and trianae starts by end of dec. one diff. could be the larger petals on trianae as on Rick's blooms!?)

Nice! I had one a long time ago and I can't remember what happened to it, which means I probably killed it. :mad:

2 beauties!!!! Bravo for blooming them!!!! Jean

(in the Chadwick's book, jenmanii blooms in late autumn, after the last labiatas have gone, and trianae starts by end of dec. one diff. could be the larger petals on trianae as on Rick's blooms!?)

Maybe in the wild, but the pic of my trianaei is 11/25 (and still open12/7)

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18294

That looks like my C. trianeae. I wonder if they are synonyms or varieties of each other in different taxonomic circles.

From what I know C. trianae and C. jenmanii have never been treated as varieties or synonyms. Apart from their disjunct distribution, they usually have somewhat different morphology and characteristics (i.e. flower size, shape, fragrance).

In addition to distribution & flower morphology differences, C. jenmanii is a much more compact growing plant compared to C. trianae, though neither would be considered 'dwarf'. C. jenmanii is a medium sized Catt, and trianae is a large growing Cattleya.

Latest posts

Back