Anyone ever Revived a Rootless Paph?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
This is a parvi hybrid that I got a couple of months ago.
It was perfectly healthy with many thick roots, but...The plant was growing this smaller new growth way down below the base of the plant.
I wasn't sure if I had to bury that and encourage the "stem" to develop roots or leave as is. I added a little bit of moss loosely hoping I would be able to save the new growth and encourage the stem to send out roots.

Well, the plant did attempt to make some new roots off the stem, but they would stop at very short length.

Then about month ago, I noticed the entire top growth was going very limp.
The roots were perfectly fine and the little new growth was also in great condition. It was rather confusing as to what was going on.

The situation got worse and worse slowly, and just last week, it was obvious that the plant was somehow terminating the main growth and focusing on the smaller new shoot as that part was firm and was also growing a new leaf.

Just today, I was running my finger across the limp top growth and it just fell off. :confused:
No rot or anything. and right below the point where the top growth fell off, there was a very small brand new growth starting.

I guess the plant wants to start over somehow.

Now, the limp top growth has these two small nubins that would develop into roots. My hope is slim, but just for fun, I would like to see if this thing could survive.
Unfortunately I ran out of sphagnum moss, so I have this plant inside a zip loc bag with moist tissue paper at the base.

cvASYuLl.jpg

Same thing happened to me with a Paph micranthum. The growth broke off similar to the one in your picture. I threw out the root part which was a big mistake. The top grew new roots. I had another micranthum that did the same thing but this time I kept the root part and the top. The root part had a rhizome on it and a new growth developed! Should not have thrown out the root part!

It isn't hopeless, as long as there is healthy stem tissue buried in among the leaf bases and you don't have an ongoing rot issue. You don't need sphagnum, but tissue paper will easily compress and stay too wet. Fine bark mix would be good, or any mix that will stay moist but well aerated, not soggy. High humidity is essential. Since it is trying to grow roots a rooting promoter like KelpMax, or pot growers cloning gel, could be helpful. They won't do much if it isn't in a root growing mood. But as one of my Paph growing gurus taught me long ago, it must be stabilized in the mix. ANY movement that impacts a tender root tip can stop growth absolutely. Find a way to hold it in place, rock steady, and give it a few weeks.

Interesting!

Well, in my case, obviously, if I were to throw away anything, it would be the top growth with no root.
The root part in the pot has a lot of roots with now two growths. :)

By the way, this plant is Shunfa Golden x delenatii, but I wonder if it is mislabeled since I do not see any dark pigmentation on the leaves at all. not a single spot.

The pattern definitely is delenatii and whatever else. lol

It isn't hopeless, as long as there is healthy stem tissue buried in among the leaf bases and you don't have an ongoing rot issue. You don't need sphagnum, but tissue paper will easily compress and stay too wet. Fine bark mix would be good, or any mix that will stay moist but well aerated, not soggy. High humidity is essential. Since it is trying to grow roots a rooting promoter like KelpMax, or pot growers cloning gel, could be helpful. They won't do much if it isn't in a root growing mood. But as one of my Paph growing gurus taught me long ago, it must be stabilized in the mix. ANY movement that impacts a tender root tip can stop growth absolutely. Find a way to hold it in place, rock steady, and give it a few weeks.

Yes, that is my concern also, but I just didn't want it dry as it is really limp as is at the moment. The vascular tissues must have been cut off inside long ago and the top growth has been just hanging in there I think.
The base of this limp growth has two very small root starts. You can see at least one in the photo, that yellowish part right next to the black dead area at the base.

I have to come up with something quick. I'll try tying this to a skewer and keep it in a container of some sort until roots develop.
I don't know.

Try rooting it in a small pot of coarse/medium sand or small limestone. I have tried rooting such 'cuttings' (usually barbata or brachys that separated from the main clump) but the key is not to keep them too moist or the rot will kill them. You can hole the plant upright by supporting the plant with bamboo skewers or chopsticks. The Thai growers use these for recently-repotted plants or new divisions.

I've had some success with rootless paphs by planting them in LIVE moss. It takes a few months for anything to happen but eventually the nubbins will become good roots ----- worth a try!!!

Ed

I've had some success with rootless paphs by planting them in LIVE moss. It takes a few months for anything to happen but eventually the nubbins will become good roots ----- worth a try!!!

Ed

Yes, live sphagnum can do miracles. I maintain at an intensive care terrarium with live sphagnum for just such an emergency.

I will look up on eBay later.
I once ordered live sphag earlier this year and it came 90% dead.
I still used it of course, but maybe dead ones are not as good??

I read that they thrive under cool and bright condition.
Must have been too warm and too dark during the short trip in the box.

If the leaves went limp, my solution is to use a skewer and wire to suppport it upright.

I am doing that with my Parishii and it helps the leaves to stand again. Had done that in the past with Callosum as well.

Yes, live sphagnum can do miracles. I maintain at an intensive care terrarium with live sphagnum for just such an emergency.

Can you share with us the conditions you apply to keep the sphagnum moss alive and growing --- I think lots of readers would be very interested in a new thread on this subject -- thankyou

Ed

Ed, I'm sure others will speak up, but in my experience, low-TDS water and reasonable light levels will allow dry sphagnum to germinate and grow very well.

Ed, I'm sure others will speak up, but in my experience, low-TDS water and reasonable light levels will allow dry sphagnum to germinate and grow very well.

Yes, but a quicker start if you can get live sphagnum. Low TDS water is essential but it does need a complete fertilizer like any plant, just very low levels. I would add that it needs high humidity to really thrive, and nearly constant moisture but never soggy. Really the same conditions as many moisture/humidty loving miniature orchids or carnivorous plants.

A cheap terrarium made from a translucent plastic storage tub is what I usually use, spread the sphag on a layer of fine or medium bark and charcoal mix, internal fan for good air movement, and Phalaenopsis light level or more. Once there is a good growth of moss it is a perfect intensive care unit or spa treatment for anything rootless or dehydrated.

If you start with live sphag from a cool temperate zone source it does seem to appreciate a simulated winter of a few weeks a year approaching near freezing chill. NZ sphag doesn't need that.

Latest posts

Back