Cattleya jenmanii semialba pincelada ‘Splendiferous’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, that is very beautiful Dr. Ee. There doesn’t seem to be any reflexing, Snow White petals and a very pretty lip! The white picotee along the margin of the lip is just icing on the cake.
Let me think, 🤔🧐, I am searching for a term to describe what I am seeing. I got it, INTENSELY GORGEOUS! Yup, that is it. ❤️💕😍🥰

Leslie, here is my version of this type.
IMG_2264.jpeg

It was from a cross of ('Canaima's Lipstick' HCC x 'Kathleen' AM). The prominence of the pincelada varies from year to year but the lip is consistent. 'Canaima's Lipstick' had a horizontal spread of 13 cm in 2008 when awarded while 'Kathleen' was 15.5 in 2006. My flowers have been only 13.0 cm but I haven't yet been able to make a large, multi growth plant. Your flowers are large, probably reflecting both excellent culture and more recent changes in the gene pool (natural or artificial). The most recent AOS awarded semi-alba ('Elektra' in 2022) was 18.0 cm. Maybe we are starting to see the potential of this large flowered unifoliate species, the last to be fully introduced to the orchid world. I really like semi-albas.

Leslie, here is my version of this type.
View attachment 44174

It was from a cross of ('Canaima's Lipstick' HCC x 'Kathleen' AM). The prominence of the pincelada varies from year to year but the lip is consistent. 'Canaima's Lipstick' had a horizontal spread of 13 cm in 2008 when awarded while 'Kathleen' was 15.5 in 2006. My flowers have been only 13.0 cm but I haven't yet been able to make a large, multi growth plant. Your flowers are large, probably reflecting both excellent culture and more recent changes in the gene pool (natural or artificial). The most recent AOS awarded semi-alba ('Elektra' in 2022) was 18.0 cm. Maybe we are starting to see the potential of this large flowered unifoliate species, the last to be fully introduced to the orchid world. I really like semi-albas.
Terry, both are then siblings as mine is from same parents. Crossing the two as David suggest will secure the Lipstick lineage. Is yours in bloom soon? Let’s trade pollen!

I was going to cross with another of my jenmanii semialba ‘Mem. Dan Brandt’ (13.5 cm) that’s also in bloom at DavidB:

A36E2BF4-4D64-44F5-9E1D-DCA8223152A3.jpeg

The 18 cm one was huge but the shape and carriage wasn’t as good like ours. The petals were thin and droopy.

Terry, both are then siblings as mine is from same parents. Crossing the two as David suggest will secure the Lipstick lineage. Is yours in bloom soon? Let’s trade pollen!

I was going to cross with another of my jenmanii semialba ‘Mem. Dan Brandt’ (13.5 cm) that’s also in bloom at DavidB:

View attachment 44176

The 18 cm one was huge but the shape and carriage wasn’t as good like ours. The petals were thin and droopy.
Ours obviously share the same gene pool, but yours might have more of the large size genes. I think a selfing of yours makes more sense. Mine doesn’t offer any traits that yours doesn’t have. Crossing with the one at DavidB (if it is from a different cross) would diversify the genes but I think that might weaken the size. I think yours has shape, coloration, and size. Out of a selfing you could get a handful more of great everything. C. jenmanii with this coloration, shape, and 16+ cm sized could compete with any species for attractivenss. And, jenmanii can get 5 flowers.

Ours obviously share the same gene pool, but yours might have more of the large size genes. I think a selfing of yours makes more sense. Mine doesn’t offer any traits that yours doesn’t have. Crossing with the one at DavidB (if it is from a different cross) would diversify the genes but I think that might weaken the size. I think yours has shape, coloration, and size. Out of a selfing you could get a handful more of great everything. C. jenmanii with this coloration, shape, and 16+ cm sized could compete with any species for attractivenss. And, jenmanii can get 5 flowers.
That is the thoughts with most breeders too. I’ll likely do a selfing and outcross to DB’s.

Latest posts

Back