Cattleya aclandiae ‘

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of my aclandiae that I nearly murdered a few years ago. Luckily DavidB fostered it and saved it (thanks DavidB!!). It’s blooming nicely now. NS 8 cm.

8DA6B6B2-92EE-4A3A-9AE9-50F55B158BF1.jpeg
DB095E43-17E8-484D-A45B-E214553D1E26.jpegC9C2D2FB-2C77-43D8-B19D-03CF7778D87A.jpeg

It was passed at judging today as they wanted more less curled petals. It is nonetheless very beautiful with a sweet fragrance.

I haven’t named it yet. Any ideas?

This is one of my aclandiae that I nearly murdered a few years ago. Luckily DavidB fostered it and saved it (thanks DavidB!!).
Luckily you didn't murder this plant completely, Leslie and DavidB saved it. Otherwise we had to do without seeing these lovely flowers here. 👌
...... It was passed at judging today as they wanted more less curled petals. .....
How stupid sometimes some judges can be. 👎

Lovely aclandiae. I have yet to be successful with this species. I have one in a pot that it just putting out roots. I want to move it to a basket or mount but I am terrified it will croak:eek:

Ps. I wonder about the naming, though. Overhere, only awarded clones are named (they, actually have to be named!). However if you are a breeder, I think you can also name specific cultivars?

Giving something a cultivar name is theoretically up to you but, to be valid, it should be published somewhere with a description to clearly identify it. Often, with orchids, that is when awarded. However there a lot of 'invalid' cultivar names being used by breeders and collectors that are still very useful.

This is one of my aclandiae that I nearly murdered a few years ago. Luckily DavidB fostered it and saved it (thanks DavidB!!). It’s blooming nicely now. NS 8 cm.

View attachment 42130
View attachment 42132View attachment 42131

It was passed at judging today as they wanted more less curled petals. It is nonetheless very beautiful with a sweet fragrance.

I haven’t named it yet. Any ideas?
So you do have mounted orchids!? That’s the way to go with this one and walkeriana.

Ps. I wonder about the naming, though. Overhere, only awarded clones are named (they, actually have to be named!). However if you are a breeder, I think you can also name specific cultivars?
You can name an orchid with a cultivar name whether it’s awarded or not as long as you have the first original plant that no one had or named before. The award or any print media validates it to public.

Judges can be a lot of things but “stupid” is generally not one of them.
Tom, maybe 'stupid' was way too harsh, maybe ridiculous, ignorant or arrogant are better words in this context.
All C. aclandiaes which I have seen so far had more or less curled petal edges this is a natural trait ..... correct me if it isn't .... and therefore reject a plant from judging due to curled petals is ridiculous, at least in my eyes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back