Cattleya purpurata fma. roxo-violeta

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This plant, I bought from a private person on Ebay. It came with the epithet 'roxo-violetta', but I wonder whether it is? Due to the slight striation on the petals, might it more aptly be named 'striata'? Hope for your expert comments on this matter!
(Terry's elucidating comment below made it clear, that we are, actually, in the realm of 'venosa'... and Leslie's, that we are not! 😁)
20230429_123647.jpg
NS: 15 cm. 20230429_123713.jpgNS: 16 cm20230429_123742.jpg
20230429_133033.jpg
20230429_133029.jpg

Actually, the plant is my son's, as I had to recompense him for killing off the Cattleya hybrid NOID, that he won in a plant raffle many summers ago:18863-44428e0e21cee9441c5d54a2baab6f5a.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Notes from an expert say that "striata"purpurata have unbranched lines or stripes, of any color, that radiate out along the petals and sepals, against a lighter background.

A "venosa" is similar to striata, except the stripes branch as they radiate outwards. I can't quite tell from your pictures whether venosa is more accurate than striata.

The color form roxo-violeta is a southern Brazil term for a brighter blue (actually a grayish purple). This color form is called "aco" in the north. The color in a picture depends on the light source and the camera. Your pictures are not quite showing the grayish blue of roxo-violeta. You might just have a straight "striata" or "venosa".

Notes from an expert say that "striata"purpurata have unbranched lines or stripes, of any color, that radiate out along the petals and sepals, against a lighter background.

A "venosa" is similar to striata, except the stripes branch as they radiate outwards. I can't quite tell from your pictures whether venosa is more accurate than striata.

The color form roxo-violeta is a southern Brazil term for a brighter blue (actually a grayish purple). This color form is called "aco" in the north. The color in a picture depends on the light source and the camera. Your pictures are not quite showing the grayish blue of roxo-violeta. You might just have a straight "striata" or "venosa".
Thank you, Terry! Very helpful and elucidating!
I can't detect any 'aco' -quality in its colouring, only purple. But it's certainly more veined than my striata - and I hurry to correct the title of the thread accordingly!

Does this, by the way, by definition place the 'Werkhäuseri' clone within roxo-violetta/aco-forms....or is it's bluish quality too outspoken for that?

Last edited:
Thank you, Terry! Very helpful and elucidating!
I can't detect any 'aco' -quality in its colouring, only purple. But it's certainly more veined than my striata - and I hurry to correct the title of the thread accordingly!

Does this, by the way, by definition place the 'Werkhäuseri' clone within roxo-violetta/aco-forms....or is it's bluish quality too outspoken for that?
What I know is from reading an Orchid Board post from an established purpurata expert grower and judge. The quote in the post some years ago is “Werkhauserii is an unusual greyish blue found in no other orchid. For years it was unavailable outside of Brazil.” Obviously, since that time, cultivars of Wekhauserii have become available to us.

Schusteriana is a term used outside of Brazil for roxo-violeta color plants with perhaps larger lips, but Brazilian experts don’t think a larger lip should create a new color form.

As far as I can see, this is a roxo-violeta aka aco lip coloration.

The striations must be in the same shade (almost somewhat same intensity) as the lip color (aka darker magenta) to qualify as striata or venosa. In other words, it is neither of those. Nonetheless a beautiful flower.

Latest posts

Back