calcaneous paph's

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grubea

Reaction score
I have seen a list online before of paph's that like calcium supplemented in their potting mix and I can't find it now. Does anybody have any ideas where to find it?

thanks
Aaron

Welcome Aaron to ST.
Cal is typically fed in via nutrient drench. Some fertilizers have Cal-Mag as part of their recipe.

Cheers
Jake

Actually, saying "paphs that like to have calcium supplemented in their mix" is not correct.

Many Paphiopedilum species are found growing on eroded limestone rock surface, and this lead to this wide spread misconception that they must have lime stone or seashell powder added to the potting mix. It is not entirely true as I know people who grow these without any of these addd in their mix.
It doesn't matter what mix you use as long as you use balanced fertilizer with calcium in it. or your water with calcium in it, which is the case for many regions in the country.

The roots of these plants in nature are almost always covered (whether just barely or completey) with moss, lichen, other plant material both dead and alive, and other organic and inorganic debris. Also, the roots are not necessarily just spreading along the surface either. They look for constant and reliable source of moisture, hence they are often found nested on the rock crevice or "pockets" of depressed surface.
Also, plant roots excrete chemicals to maintain certain pH range that they prefer.

True happypaphy, I've been doing an experiment on a s gratrix that had no roots, very peticular plant this one, all my others do just fine, so I have been using an alkaline water, special filtration system alkalizes it, and it now has roots, also a few other brachys I put lemon juice in 1 tsp per gallon had new active roots, now gone, so I'm gonna use the alkaline water in a week or 2 check again to see the roots, you are right about roots excreting to make a proper ph environment for them

Actually, saying "paphs that like to have calcium supplemented in their mix" is not correct.

Many Paphiopedilum species are found growing on eroded limestone rock surface, and this lead to this wide spread misconception that they must have lime stone or seashell powder added to the potting mix. It is not entirely true as I know people who grow these without any of these addd in their mix.
It doesn't matter what mix you use as long as you use balanced fertilizer with calcium in it. or your water with calcium in it, which is the case for many regions in the country.

The roots of these plants in nature are almost always covered (whether just barely or completey) with moss, lichen, other plant material both dead and alive, and other organic and inorganic debris. Also, the roots are not necessarily just spreading along the surface either. They look for constant and reliable source of moisture, hence they are often found nested on the rock crevice or "pockets" of depressed surface.
Also, plant roots excrete chemicals to maintain certain pH range that they prefer.

That's true. But limestone is only really activated as acidity increases. If it is generated by organic components breaking down or leaching or acidic fertilizers or whatever then a tiny amount will be dissolved until the acidity is neutralized again. The rest of the time it just basically sits there and does nothing. I have a niveum root traveling through pure soft shell at the moment as happy as if was pure moss.
It's probably good to have a little in the mix for Limestone paphs as a potential buffer. But agreed it depends on your water.

That's true. But limestone is only really activated as acidity increases. If it is generated by organic components breaking down or leaching or acidic fertilizers or whatever then a tiny amount will be dissolved until the acidity is neutralized again. The rest of the time it just basically sits there and does nothing. I have a niveum root traveling through pure soft shell at the moment as happy as if was pure moss.
It's probably good to have a little in the mix for Limestone paphs as a potential buffer. But agreed it depends on your water.

Completely agree on this Mike. Well said. When I started growing Parvs and Brachs, I noticed black looking rots on the newer leaves which I thought at first as fungal/bacterial rots as was suggested here also. It disappeared when I started supplementing more Ca with carbonate. I find marble chips are just right in the mix. Ph is well buffered

I add oyster shell to all slippers... Top dress once a year, some in the mix when I repot.

Not sure if it is a good idea or not, but it is cheap and it makes me happy.
Rob

Latest posts

Back