C. acaule

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

From this weekend, at my Cutchogue place. Planted last fall and the year before. One of them is next to an established group of Goodyera pubescens.
The other is near newly planted Goodyera oblongifolia (in spike) and Tipularia discolor.
IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

Years back I had 2 large clumps that would bloom with several flowers. I'd pollinate several of them, sometimes using pollen from some of the wild plants nearby. Some were allowed to reseed, other pods were collected and sent off to people...Bill Steele, Troy Meyers,some others. They don't always set seed despite the pods. After 20+ years, those clumps finally died, possibly because the raccoons used one planting spot as their favorite place to take a dump. When these plants mature more, and produce several growths, I'll go back to pollinating them again.

Congratulations Eric! We had a large stand on our property
that was thriving until the pine bark beetle took out most of the pines where the acaule were growing. We tried several times to take large groupings to another site and failed miserably. Cyp. acaule is one hard native orchid
to resettle. You did gooooood!

Latest posts

Back