Bulbophyllum weinthalii subsp. striatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krisk

Reaction score
A very attractive fly pollinated species endemic to the Calliope Ranges near Gladstone in Queensland, Australia. Like many desirable orchid species, they are challenging to grow and flask. I've had my plants for over 6 years now and they put on a brilliant show every second year.

17043691168_57e6dd285d_c.jpg

This is a nice looking plant! The streaks on the petals and the lateral sepal is a nice touch (I guess that the subspecies name comes from this feature?). Thank you for sharing.

Very colorful flower and excellent photo. Thanks!

By the way, how large are the flowers and are they fragrant (not necessarily in a good way)?

I've seen the smell described as being like Semen. It's certainly very weird whatever it is, and extremely effective at attracting flies. I have to put nets over my plants to stop the flies pollinating them.

A beauty!

Yeah from its look, it's on the stinky side. (And the flys did vote!)

Thanks I had it not in my scented list. ^^

Its a little gem of a species. Is this one collected? I bought a flask last year and its' really hard to establish!!

Its a little gem of a species. Is this one collected? I bought a flask last year and its' really hard to establish!!

I believe it was originally a wild collected plant yes. I bought them as divisions quite a few years ago now. They are quite resistant to cultivation, both in and out of flask.

Thanks Kris! That is really nice and now I can see what you mean about keeping it dry (from the FB post). Would you try setting a pod on it for us US peeps?

Latest posts

Back