Bud watching for multiforals

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of the others have bloomed?

One of the haynaldianums has bloomed when I went to the green house on Wednesday's night. Will update during the weekend. It has intense color and the form is expected to be OK. But the buds for another haynaldianum have blasted!! :mad::mad:

Great selection of matured multiflorals. The flowers will give you something to photograph and post on a regular basis. I loved looking at your plants --- but please remove the dead leaves they would look so much better.
Ed

I didn't see any dead leaves. I must be missing some PICs. One Phrag with a rattie leaf, that's all. The Lady Duck will kick a$$!

Some updates again.

The phragmepedium hybrid - the bud finally comes out!
image_zpsnwys2sgd.jpeg

image_zpspgmt0ajv.jpeg

Saint Swithin - The spike progresses a little bit slow.
image_zpsmupetfon.jpeg

MKs
image_zpsxc8f8afh.jpeg

image_zps6j2urrxn.jpeg

rothschildianums - again, the bud seems to progress a little bit slow
image_zpsflqq1bn3.jpeg

image_zpstkadv3q4.jpeg

kolopakingii var. topperii
image_zpsxvzqzarx.jpeg

anitum
image_zps2vomhnqe.jpeg

PEoY
image_zpstoiaq5xs.jpeg

Good time really goes ahead! The following multi spieces have just put out the colored leave. Spike will come along it very soon.

philippinese - grow for 2 years and bought with flower at that time. It had one flowered growth, and one growth in flower. After 2 years, one of the flowered growth has nearly died and the other still has 4 leaves intact, and, with 5 new growths, 2 matured, 2 near mature and 1 just putting out.
image_zps7ve051gi.jpeg

Another philippinese, but in variety of laevigatum - bought with flower 2 year ago, the flowered growth has died and there are now 5 new growths, one in flower, 2 near matured and 2 just putting out.
image_zpshq696off.jpeg

Let's see the buds of the kolo var. topperi, there are already 3 flower sheaths on such a short spike. Interesting to guess how may buds will finally be carried for it.
image_zpsm1zpybum.jpeg

Another update, glad to see the following new members in low sheath:

1. Paph. anitum - another one is blooming now!
image_zpskpym4qmo.jpeg

2. Paph. philippinese var. roebelini
image_zpsswove3xe.jpeg

3. Paph. Lady Isable - this is a poor guy. I bought it in spike last year with one big flowering growth, one big growth and one small growth. The flowering growth quickly died when blooming, while the leaves on the big growth died one by one and only 2 leaves left eventually. Lucky, it finally adapt the environemnt and the small growth starts to move. It is my first believe that the big growth with 2 leaves will not bloom and eventually die, but I surprisingly note that a flower sheath is coming out from the center of that growth! See picture.
image_zpscakb2y2m.jpeg

The plant itself is here:-
image_zpsz2wvmfjf.jpeg

4. Paph. lowii is in low sheath
image_zpsls6igwla.jpeg

5. Paph. rothschildianum 266 from Tokyo Orchid Nursery
image_zpss6pcvmw0.jpeg

Just note that the multi-growth rothschildianum and philippinese have multi spikes. I just photo the roths and post here.
image_zpsqvzxebth.jpeg

I hope I can grow (1) this many multiflorals and (2) grow them this well! I am anxious to see all of these bloom!

David

David, growing multiflorals is not difficult provided that you can capture their needs. More light, high air hudimity and good air circulation are basic factors. Large diurnal range of temperature could be beneficial. Basically, if you can manage Phrag species, multiflorals are not a problem to you. The only thing you need is patience, since they all grow very slowly.

David, growing multiflorals is not difficult provided that you can capture their needs. More light, high air hudimity and good air circulation are basic factors. Large diurnal range of temperature could be beneficial. Basically, if you can manage Phrag species, multiflorals are not a problem to you. The only thing you need is patience, since they all grow very slowly.

Thanks so much! I have some and they are doing well, but I am definitely understanding how slow they grow.

David

31/3/2016 update
Paph. koloparkingii var. topperi - 5 buds are carried on such a short spike. Can challenge 6 or 7 in my opinion.
image_zpsj0kcs8oo.jpeg

Paph. MK from In Charm (No. 3696)
image_zpsubdcl8g1.jpeg

One of the Paph. Hung Sheng Eagle
image_zps2elxpdrq.jpeg

Paph. Saint Swithin
image_zps7ghx3abf.jpeg

Paph. PEoY
image_zpsj1wvfc21.jpeg

Paph. rothschildianum from Mainshow Orchids
image_zpsi6kfa84x.jpeg

Phrag. Grande X longifolium
image_zpsx8xdj71k.jpeg

I notice that in a number of the multiflorals you posted, the top few leaves look lighter in colour than the older leaves. Do you grow them brighter than the nurseries that they were originally purchased from or is it difference in nutrition? Do you use the same fertilizer as the commercial nurseries?

I notice that in a number of the multiflorals you posted, the top few leaves look lighter in colour than the older leaves. Do you grow them brighter than the nurseries that they were originally purchased from or is it difference in nutrition? Do you use the same fertilizer as the commercial nurseries?

You have sharp eyes! It is true that I grow them extremely bright in these few months. To my experience, multi needs 1-2 months bright light for them to prepare for blooming, so, most of them are put under direct sunlight since late December 2015. Since the temperature is low during winter months, sunlight will not burn the leaves. Now, they are put under a layer of 90% shading cloths since the direct sunlight can burn them.

As for the fertilizer, I use solid fertilizer from Japan, which is popularly used in Taiwan.

Latest posts

Back